Beantwoord

Moving abroad - How to cancel the contract?

• 1 februari 2017
  • 46 reacties
  • 7956 Bekeken

Hello! I moved to the Netherlands a year ago and signed my phone contract with T-Mobile. I intended to have a contract with the duration of 12 months but somehow there was a misunderstanding (probably language barriers) and I have recently discovered that after all my contract does not end until March 2018. However, since I finished my studies, I am moving out of the Netherlands and, for that reason, I would like to end my contract. I have been to a T-Mobile store already but unfortunately they could not help me with this question. If someone could tell me what I should do in this case, I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!
icon

Beste antwoord door Serviceweb 1 februari 2017, 16:31

Welcome to the forum.

It is sometimes possible to prematurely terminate your subscription at T-Mobile NL when you emigrate to a country where T-Mobile is also active.

You move to another country where T-Mobile operates? Then you can use a switching capability. This means that you enter into a T-Mobile contract in the new country, and we terminate the subscription in the Netherlands. Switching is possible with:
- Germany - Austria
- Hungary - Poland
- Croatia - Slovakia
- Macedonia - Czech Republic
- Montenegro - USA

I don't know where you are going to but is you don't want to take your contract with you to a other country there are 3 options left:

- You may cancel your contract
- You can take over your contract by someone who lives / continues in the Netherlands.
- You can continue using your subscription abroad, obviously you do not call as beneficial as in the Netherlands

I hope this information is helpful.
Bekijk origineel

46 reacties

Welcome to the forum.

It is sometimes possible to prematurely terminate your subscription at T-Mobile NL when you emigrate to a country where T-Mobile is also active.

You move to another country where T-Mobile operates? Then you can use a switching capability. This means that you enter into a T-Mobile contract in the new country, and we terminate the subscription in the Netherlands. Switching is possible with:
- Germany - Austria
- Hungary - Poland
- Croatia - Slovakia
- Macedonia - Czech Republic
- Montenegro - USA

I don't know where you are going to but is you don't want to take your contract with you to a other country there are 3 options left:

- You may cancel your contract
- You can take over your contract by someone who lives / continues in the Netherlands.
- You can continue using your subscription abroad, obviously you do not call as beneficial as in the Netherlands

I hope this information is helpful.
Thank you for your reply.

I'm actually moving back to Portugal, so unfortunately it seems like the first option is not possible.

Can you tell me a little bit more about what it means to "surrender my contract"?

I thought about keeping the contract and adding the option to have internet in the EU, but the problem is that, since I am moving abroad, I had to deregister, so I no longer have a BSN number and had to close my bank account. It is not possible to change the bank account in the contract to one that is not from a dutch bank account, right?
Hi Catarina.

I think that Serviceweb actually meant 'terminate the contract': paying off the remaining period at once (without the possible discounts, for as far as I know). If you've chosen a subscription with a phone, the phone needs to be paid off as well. If you'd like to go for this option, it might be best to try to contact the customer service, they should be able to tell you how much it'll cost you.

For as far as I'm aware, you need a Dutch address and a Dutch bank account to be able to keep the subscription.
Reputatie 7
Badge +20
Hi Catarina,

So sad to see you leave but I would rather enjoy the sun in Portugal then freeze over here as well. 😛 I hope everything went well with your studies. I see that Serviceweb en Kaassausje have provided you with the right answers. You already have spoken to my colleagues and today you have spoken to Suzanna on Facebook and she has cancelled your subscription as you wished for.

I wish you the best of luck in Portugal and if you have any questions, please let me know! 🙂
Hi Hajar, I am also moving abroad, to spain, and there is no t-mobile over there. Can you help me terminating my contract. thanks in advace
Reputatie 7
Badge +20
Hi rbedmar,

I would like to go to España as well! I am currently watching a Spanish TV-show called Velvet and I'm obsessed! :P

Back to your question; have you read the options above? I see you have a contract until 01-10-2017 which means you have to buy off your contract and pay the remaining period without discounts. Do you agree? If so please let me know and I will make sure your contract will be terminated.

Looking forward to your reply!
Hi Hajar, I also gonna leave Netherlands and back to Indonesia.
Sorry, I sent you a private message. I didn't see the email about it.
Could you please help me to process with the cancellation?
Reputatie 6
Badge +17
Hey Pfalena,

Are you leaving us!? How was your stay in The Netherlands, I hope that you've had a good experience here. :)

It's good that you contacted us about this. Indonesia is not on the list of countries where you can 'transfer' your contract to. This means that you'll have to follow the normal procedure for cancelling your contract. Your contract ends december this year. If you agree, I can request the cancellation for you. Your contract will be active until december this year and after that your simcard will be deactivated and your number will be lost.

If you want to keep using that number, let us know. We can transfer this number to a prepaid simcard. Keep in mind that this simcard needs to be used once every 6 months to stay active.

Please let us know what you prefer. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. We will gladly help you. 🙂
Hi Issam,
Please help me to cancel my contract.
And I don't wanna keep using the number.
Thank you.
Reputatie 6
Badge +17
Hey Pfalena,

Thank you for your fast and clear reply.

I immediately requested a contract stop at the end of your current contract. You will receive an e-mail with a confirmation.

I hope that everything is handled right. If you have any further questions please let us know!
Hey Issam,

I received the Confirmation of cancellation request.
Thank you for your help.
Hi Issam,

I have another question.
I received the confirmation, but the email didn't explain me how I paid the rest of the payment.
Could you please tell me how?
thank you
Reputatie 4
Hi Pfalena,

That's a good a question!

You can pay the rest of the payment every month, just like you have been doing up to now. So the way of payment doesn't have to change. You will pay every month untill the end of your contract.

There is also another option you can choose. You are also able to buy off your contract in one payment. This means that you will pay all the monthy fees of the contract up until december in one time. And then the contract will end immediately. So that is also an alternative possibility.

Just think about which option is more suitable in your situation and then you can make a choice. I hope the information is sufficient for you. If you have any other questions, just let us know! 🙂
Hai Mubera, I would like to buy off my contract in one payment because I also will close my bank account.
Please tell me how to proceed with this.
Thank you
Reputatie 7
Badge +20
Hi pfalena,

Thank you for your reply. I have created a new disconnection request to buy off your contract. Please keep in mind that you have one month notice therefore your contract will be disconnected on 09-09-2017. You have also received an e-mail confirmation about the disconnection and the remaining fee you have to pay at once. The fee consists of the remaining months and the costs of your device.

I hope you're satisfied with solution. If you have any more questions, please let me know. 🙂
Hello there,
I have a similar problem, since I'm moving abroad. My contract is already expired, but if possible, instead of canceling, I would like to keep the phone number. Is it possible to convert the subscription into a pre-paid option? This way I would not pay a fixed amount per month and only when I use it.
Thank you
Reputatie 7
Badge +19
Hoi Michele,

Thanks for your question!

It is indeed possible to convert the subscription into a PrePaid. This way you can keep your number. To convert the subscription there's a one month notice period. Please do check if our PrePaid works in the country you're moving to (in case you want to still be able to use the sim card when you're there). In some countries PrePaid doesn't work. You can check this via this page, choose the country you're moving to and see if our PrePaid works there.

Let me know if you would like to proceed with this! I can put this in progress as soon as you let us know. 😃
Hi,

I have a similar issue. I've moved aboard and would like to transfer my contract to another person. He wants to keep his current number. Is this possible?

Thanks
Reputatie 7
Badge +20
Hi Olizlee,

You can definitely transfer your contract to another person, who is staying here in The Netherlands! You can do this with what we call a contractovername, which roughly translates to transferal of contract. The website regarding this transfer is in Dutch, but perhaps with some Google Translate you'll be able to manage? 😃 Long story short, you have to fill in this form and include the needed documents and submit this. This way you can transfer your contract to the other person.

If you need any further assistance with this, don't hesitate to ask!

PS: We adjusted your username, since this is a public Community. If you would like some other username, let us know!
Hi there,

I am planning to transfer my contract as well since I dont think I have enough money to pay the rest of the contract at once.

I want to ask about the notice, I dont need a one month notice like if I want to cancel the contract right?

Thank you so much.
Reputatie 7
Badge +19
Hoi Reydp23,

I'm here to help you out!

Do you mean you're going to move to one of the countries in which switching to T-Mobile in that country is possible? In that case you will have to start a contract in that country first, and only after starting you can end the contract with us! In that case there is indeed no further one month notice.

Let me know if this is what you mean! 🙂
Hi Jaimy!

So is it true that if we want to terminate the contract, we can do it with the alternatives way you said in other thread?

"The alternative option would be to deactivate your call and data bundle. Then you would only pay for the Startabonnement, which is €10,- per month. If you know someone in the Netherlands with a T-Mobile subscription, you can join their Samen-group."
Reputatie 7
Badge +20
Hi reydp23,

No, that does not apply to your case, because your example concerns a different type (and older) subscription. In your case you could reduce the costs by choosing the Go Basic bundle (You can change this yourself in My T-Mobile) or you could buy off your contract. You will have to pay 50% of the remaining months at once and keep in mind the one month notice.

If you would like to choose that option, please let us know so we can help you further!
Hi,

How much does it cost then?

And how to stop the renewal of my contract? It is said that it will be renewed on 30th of June. Could you possibly stop the renewal now?
Reputatie 7
Badge +20
Hi Reydp23,

To set your mind at peace; there is no renewal in place, it just says that your eligible for a renewal on the 30th of June.

If you were to cancel your contract today (with one month notice), your contract would be terminated on February the 14th. This would cost you a remaining fee of €78,88. This can change a little bit, depending when you give us an agreement to terminate the contract.

If we can process this termination for you, let us know!

Reageer