VPN does NOT work over cable (CAT6) at maximum speed (400Mbps/400Mbps)

• 1 November 2022
  • 4 reacties
  • 115 Bekeken

Hello,

Few thinks about the setup:

• I'm working from home over CAT6 cable and my OPEN VPN GUI is connected and green.
  • router type: Zyxel VMG8825-T50

When the maximum speed is set to the adapter Ethernet port (Speed & Duplex --> Auto Negotiation) I can NOT access the VPN network drives from my workplace when , but the internet connection works fine (I can access any website I want).

BUT if the maximum speed is manually set to 100Mbps/100Mbps (Speed & Duplex --> 100Mbps/100Mbps) to the adapter Ethernet port, I CAN access VPN network drives.

I have check at my workplace and seem like I'm the only one with this issue, that's the reason they directed me to my ISP. They are saying that it is something wrong my the settings of my router. I have tested with 2 different cables one CAT5e and one CAT6 and the same issue.

Could you please help me with this issue?

4 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +4

Hi @Calin17us,

Smart that you’re posting your question on the Community and thanks for the very specific details! 

I’m surprised that your VPN only partially works with the change from auto negotiation to 100 Mbit/s / 100 Mbit/s as you do not change that much when switching between these two options. I suppose that you cannot select a 1000 Mbit/s / 1000 Mbit/s option instead of the 100 / 100 one? 

Do you know any colleagues who have an Internet speed of more than 100 Mbit/s who do have full access to the VPN network drives? 

I suppose that your workplace’s IT department also doesn’t have a hint as to what is going wrong with the VPN? Did you try to post this question on the forum of OpenVPN GUI?

Curious to hear more about your situation!

Hello Cal,

To answer all your questions:

- I have tested also with 1000Mbps/1000Mbps and the same issue, NO access to the network drives via OpenVPN GUI;

- yes I know for sure another colleague that works from home and he has 1000Mbps/1000Mbps and he has access to the Company network drives via the OpenVPN GUI; they said there is no difference between the two accounts, that is the reason why the IT department from my work place told to contact my ISP;

- I didn't put the question on the OpenVPN GUI forum because I did not know there is something like this; can you send me a link please, that I can try as well there in this way I have two possibilities to get an answer to my issue. 

Kind regards,

Reputatie 7
Badge +16

Hi @Calin17us, it seems as though one specific setting is preventing you from connecting to the VPN, but which one is the biggest question here - I honestly have no idea right now, but I’ll try and take an educated guess.

There’s a plethora of possible settings and configurations so let’s try to keep it restricted to the most important ones:

1. There’s a setting that blocks specific ports. Try and reconfigure the port-settings to the default settings, this might work;
  2. Your firewall can limit the usage of a VPN to lower internet speeds;
  3. Are you sure the VPN software is updated?

These are simply assumptions, I don’t know what the underlying reason is, but I’m sure we’ll get there with a little help from the Community.

Hi Jonson,

To answer all your questions:

1. I have reseted the router already and I have tried the connect via cable in two ways: one via the router-docking station-laptop and one router-RJ45/usb adapter-laptop is the same issue;
  2. my firewall seting are identical with the colegue frommy work where the lan connection is working properlly;
  3. I use OpenVPN GUI v11.20.0.0 for windows 10, 64-bit

regards

Kind regards,

Reageer