Beantwoord

What is the minimum guaranteed speed?

• 29 August 2022
  • 3 reacties
  • 87 Bekeken

• heeft eerste post geplaatst
  • 4 reacties

Good day everyone! Since one month, I have a fibre internet connection from T-Mobile. One thing I noticed pretty quickly is that the speed I get never reaches the nominal one. With my previous provider, I was paying for 300/30 Mbps, and it was clear, with SpeedTest, that the provider was offering, technically, slightly higher speed and I was throttled to 300/30 Mbps (SpeedTest would first show a higher value than 300/30 Mbps, and after a couple of seconds it would drop to just above 300/30 Mbps). WIth T-Mobile, I still have to see my 1000 Mbps.

How I measured. Besides running SpeedTest, both browser-based and desktop version on multiple (wired) computers and at multiple times, I set up a long-term test using SpeedTest CLI. The advantage of this program is that it doesn’t require installation and can be run on my work computer, which is a Xeon with 64 GB RAM. This computer is permanently connected to the T-Mobile Zyxel T-54 modem, with a Cat 5e cable. The modem is connected to the fibre-ethernet converter with another Cat 5e cable. I ran the test, since last Friday till today, every 5 minutes, and stored the result in a CSV. The results are:

• download: 821 Mbps average, min 248, max 931, stdev 104.
  • upload: 693 Mbps average, min 122, max 943, stdev 259.

What is the T-Mobile policy? Do they guarantee the minimum average speed that I should get when I pay for some nominal speed? What if that speed is not reached?

icon

Beste antwoord door Waqqas 29 August 2022, 13:35

Bekijk origineel

3 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @texnic 

What is maximum internet speed?

Based on your zip code, we calculate your maximum internet speed based on the technical possibilities at your address. In at least one of the ten measurements taken, 90% of the maximum internet speed should be measured.

Normally available internet speed

The normally available internet speed is equal to 85% or higher of the maximum internet speed. In at least eight out of ten measurements, 85% or higher of the maximum internet speed must be achieved, to speak of normally available.

Minimum internet speed

75% or higher of the maximum internet speed corresponds to the minimum internet speed. In all measurements, 75% or higher of the maximum internet speed should be measured. If you choose a package with a speed that is lower than the maximum achievable at the address, you will receive a maximum of the speed you have chosen. If you choose a subscription whose advertised speed is higher than the maximum achievable, your speed will be limited to the maximum achievable at the address.

Thanks @Waqqas, I think I’ve read it somewhere but couldn’t find it back. I still cannot find it. Where is it from?

Also, it remains unclear to me what happens if the measured speed is below the 75 % minumum.

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@texnic 

Go to the T-Mobile orderpage and enter your address, click on the ❗next to max. snelheid and scroll down a bit.

If you are not getting past 75% then please do a wired speedtest using the Ookla speedtest app, repeat these tests over the day and share the results here, moderators or other users will help you to try and increase the speed.

Reageer