Beantwoord

Accidental International Call

• 31 december 2020
  • 4 reacties
  • 172 Bekeken

• heeft eerste post geplaatst
  • 2 reacties

Hello sir/madam,

My apologies for using English, I’m learning Dutch but at the moment my level is very basic.

I was calling a colleague of mine in Spain from South Africa using (what I thought was the FaceTime calling function) but was actually a normal phone call.

I’ve subsequently incurred an additional €293,87 in additional costs which will be added to my upcoming invoice😞

This happened to me once before while I returned home during the beginning of the Corona outbreak but the additional costs only amounted to around €30 or so and I paid the amount. 

However, before paying I went into my local T-Mobile store and inquired about it and the lady explained why I had been charged. I subsequently told her that my Dutch is very basic and only part of the app is in English, making the rest difficult to understand. I asked her please not to let this happen again as I don’t plan on making any international calls using the normal phone call feature. So I’m not sure why I wasn’t prevented from making this call.

I’m a student and I don’t have a lot of money so this additional charge is quite debilitating. Is there anything that can be done?

I’ve been very happy with T-Mobile thus far and have always recommended it to friends of mine coming from abroad to study in the Netherlands. I plan on remaining here for some time working at the university after my studies and intend on sticking with T-Mobile.

Thank you for your time!

icon

Beste antwoord door Hajar 31 december 2020, 14:36

Hi @AJG_00 

I feel really bad that you made such high costs. Unfortunately, we can’t refund these costs due to your own responsibly.  You can however request a payment arrangement on My T-Mobile. You can choose the option ‘’betalingsregeling’ when your invoice is online. As to these foreign calls we don’t offer a bundle for calls outside of the EU or US. Perhaps you can purchase a PrePaid simcard for foreign calls or use Whatsapp.

I hope others have good suggestions too. Best wishes for the New year!

Bekijk origineel

4 reacties

Reputatie 6
Badge +12

The Facetime app is for sure in your own language. If you do not use that app, but the regular dial option from your phone, it is a bit hard to understand that you as a smart student makes this mistake.

Next to that, the call from South Africa to Spain is not a free call for your home provider eather. The call detail, together with the invoice for that is send to T-Mobile. They need to pay the South African operator and can not blame a “misunderstanding of your phone apps”. 

So, if they credit you, they need to pay the 300 euro's themselves. That is not the kind the money they make on a customer during it's subscription period.

Hello Eric, thank you for your reply sir!

I agree with you completely. It was a very bad mistake on my side! And I understand that it wouldn’t be fair to expect T-Mobile to cover the charge for a mistake I made.

Like I said this happened to me once before and I asked the lady who worked at my local T-Mobile store to prevent this from happening to me again on their side - I’ve subsequently found out it’s the barring feature - because I didn’t want a situation like this from arising again. In that regard, I guess the best I can do is to go back in person and ask what happened.

Also, I know calling abroad is super expensive and I genuinely didn’t realise it was not a FaceTime call using WiFi - once again, a very bad mistake on my side!

I was wondering if someone had any suggestions, like if it’s possible to buy an international calling bundle to have the costs retroactively rerated for instance or any other ideas. 

Thank you for your feedback!

Reputatie 7
Badge +20

Hi @AJG_00 

I feel really bad that you made such high costs. Unfortunately, we can’t refund these costs due to your own responsibly.  You can however request a payment arrangement on My T-Mobile. You can choose the option ‘’betalingsregeling’ when your invoice is online. As to these foreign calls we don’t offer a bundle for calls outside of the EU or US. Perhaps you can purchase a PrePaid simcard for foreign calls or use Whatsapp.

I hope others have good suggestions too. Best wishes for the New year!

Hello Hajar, thank you so much for the suggestion ma’am!

It’s unfortunate to hear that there isn’t a bundle available but your payment arrangement suggestion sounds like a very helpful alternative! Once my invoice arrives I’ll definitely look into it.

Kind regards and wishing you and all other customers/employees a very happy New Year too😊

Reageer