Beantwoord

No internet at Schiphol train station

• 10 augustus 2017
  • 4 reacties
  • 126 Bekeken

Hello,

First I want to apologize for writing this in English.
I have noticed in the past months a strange situation of the internet availability at Schiphol trainstation. Usually when a train arrives at the station the internet stops and is unavailable until the train gets out of the tunnel. This happens in both directions (to and from Amsterdam) which leads me to believe it is not a coverage problem, but a limitation that is done on purpose. It feels like the phone gets a small limit of traffic when entering the area and when it is consumed the internet is completely cut off.
Is this the case and can we expect things to go back to a normal service as they were in the past few years?
Thanks!
icon

Beste antwoord door David 11 augustus 2017, 11:29

Hi Pavlin,

Good question and it's not a problem that you ask it in English! Our whole team speaks Dutch and English, so we can help you either way! 😉

First and foremost: We are definitely not capping, interrupting or limiting your coverage in the Schipholtunnel. However, it is very likely that the signal can't reach you in the tunnel. Since it's underground and quite a long tunnel, the signal can't reach you fully. This is not something we're limiting, but in some places there just isn't a possibility for better coverage. When you enter the tunnel the signal can still reach you, thus giving you a little bit of coverage while entering the tunnel. When you get further into the tunnel, the signal can't reach you and then you won't get any coverage anymore, until you resurface or exit the tunnel again.

Hopefully my explanation has shed a light on this issue? If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Bekijk origineel

4 reacties

Reading my post I see I did not explain correctly as "a train arrives" is confusing. What I mean is that if you travel in a train there will be internet for some time after the train enters the tunnel. Then it will completely stop and will come back when the train exits the tunnel. And this happens regardless of the direction the train is moving.
Reputatie 7
Badge +20
Hi Pavlin,

Good question and it's not a problem that you ask it in English! Our whole team speaks Dutch and English, so we can help you either way! 😉

First and foremost: We are definitely not capping, interrupting or limiting your coverage in the Schipholtunnel. However, it is very likely that the signal can't reach you in the tunnel. Since it's underground and quite a long tunnel, the signal can't reach you fully. This is not something we're limiting, but in some places there just isn't a possibility for better coverage. When you enter the tunnel the signal can still reach you, thus giving you a little bit of coverage while entering the tunnel. When you get further into the tunnel, the signal can't reach you and then you won't get any coverage anymore, until you resurface or exit the tunnel again.

Hopefully my explanation has shed a light on this issue? If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Thanks for the reply.
The reason I think it is not a normal coverage problem is that is started happening several months ago and was not happening before. (Since the tunnel was covered several years ago) Also the internet usually stops on the station itself and the station is supposed to be covered.
What happens is that the whole time the train travels in the tunnel to the station there is internet and at the station itself it stops. And this happens the same way regardless of the direction the train is traveling in.So there will be an internet in any part of the tunnel, but only if it is before reaching the station.
Also I have noticed it happens if I'm watching Youtube or listening to an online radio but not if I'm browsing the web.That's what made me think there is a limit of some kind.
Reputatie 5
Badge +17
Hey Pavlin,

That could've been a plausible verdict. But like our friendly colleague David said; there is no limit, cap or interruption at the station. I'm suspecting that the nearest cell tower is just out of reach or there are too many users on the nearest cell tower, making it harder to connect and use our network.

Do you have the possibility to try a different phone or simcard on the same location?

Reageer