Beantwoord

Galaxy S7 Edge Nougat OTA

• 20 januari 2017
  • 18 reacties
  • 2650 Bekeken

Hi there (sorry for not speaking dutch).

3 days already after the release of Androidd 7 (Nougat) update for my S7 Edge I haven't receive the update OTA. At the same time colleagues and friends on other carriers (ex. KPN) have already download the update.

Is T-Mobile delaying the update? Samsung support says that phones bought from carriers can delay because maybe the carrier haven't yet validate the update.

What is happening?
icon

Beste antwoord door Poco-Loco 20 januari 2017, 10:44

Well, exactly what you're saying... Carrier phones get checks and specific network adjustments (and some logo's, but that crap isn't the delaying part).

Because updates require a check if everything is working, they are then distributed a little bit later. However, in addition to this all, do keep in mind not even Samsung is distributing all phones at the exact same time. All phones are phases to not overload servers, so your phone might come today, the next week or even later...

Any updates are shared in the general topic: Samsung Update topic
Bekijk origineel

18 reacties

Well, exactly what you're saying... Carrier phones get checks and specific network adjustments (and some logo's, but that crap isn't the delaying part).

Because updates require a check if everything is working, they are then distributed a little bit later. However, in addition to this all, do keep in mind not even Samsung is distributing all phones at the exact same time. All phones are phases to not overload servers, so your phone might come today, the next week or even later...

Any updates are shared in the general topic: Samsung Update topic
Nuh this was so anticipated and few days seems like forever.

That was the first time i bought phone directly from carrier and I hope I will not regret it :(

Until I was every-time getting first day all updates.

Let's see...
Nuh this was so anticipated and few days seems like forever.
It's not a few days if T-Mobile finds mistakes, bugs or just blatant errors in the update...

Here's the sad part, they're often there (per brand the amount differs)... Which means the update gets rejected and returned to the manufacturer. When they actually then actively fix the update is dependent on their schedule, resulting in more delay and finally another check from T-Mobile.

You'll receive the update later with less mistakes/bugs due to it being checked and whether you prefer a quick update vs. a checked update is a personal preference. However "it was anticipated" is a very incorrect view on this process.
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
That's what happens when you buy a phone from a carrier: You get branded firmware, which is never a positive thing.

If you buy a phone from a carrier, you have to wait 4 to 8 weeks longer for firmware. It's always been that way.

The Android firmware development process works like this:

1. Google makes the Android version. [we'll skip the Nexus/Pixel process]
2. Google sends it to manufacturers. (Samsung, LG, HTC, etc).
3. The manufacturers change the firmware to fit their devices. From here we'll follow Samsung's steps.
4. The firmware is rolled out in Poland as XEO. This is also where the test centre is, hence the first release.
5. Once that is fully functional, it is send to local Samsung departments. Each nation develops its own unbranded firmware, so Samsung Benelux develops Dutch firmware and is usually the 12th to update. (the first ones after Poland are nearly always Germany and UK.)
6. Once this is finished, it is rolled out to Unbranded devices (independent shops and KPN).
7. At this point the firmware is send to carriers for branding.
8. The firmware version is edited by carriers. This is usually done by a 1-3 person team for hundreds of devices at once. Massive delays.
9. It is then send back to Samsung for testing.
10. Once Samsung has tested it, it is either rejected and send back to step 8, or approved.
11. Once approved, Samsung places it in the OTA queue.

So if you buy a phone from an independent store, you get the firmware before it even goes to the carriers for development. If you buy it from the carrier, you are amongst the last to recieve the update.

In truth 99% of the 'tweaks' they put into the branded updates is pure and completely redundant rubbish.

If you really can't wait, you could always just flash the unbranded firmware.
Thx @ShadowLea.

... This is SO unacceptable. I will never again buy a phone from a carrier.
Funny think is when I asked T-Mobile before I buy it if the phone is somehow locked or am I depended from them for updates etc they were 100% sure that I will be not...

I'm so much frustrated right now... so much...

I'm even considering leaving the carrier. 😠 😞
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
I agree. It's why I haven't bought a phone from a carrier for years, and never will again.

The phone isn't locked, that much is true. (EU law forbids it). But you are dependent on T-Mobile for updates.

Thankfully, due to EU law, you can change your firmware to unbranded yourself, without any affect to warranty. So you don't have to spend money on breaking your contract.

Note that if you change it to another CSC, the phone will wipe itself, so make backups of all your data first!!

You can also install any other unbranded EU firmware, so if you prefer to have the firmware of another country, that's an option. All EU firmwares contain the same network and language settings.

Thus far only BTU(UK Unbranded) has been released as Android 7.0.

Here's the how-to from XDA, in English.
(I wrote a more extensive, detailed guide, but it's in Dutch.)

Could you dial to *#1234# and let us know which 3 lines appear on the screen?
Je zegt dat wel steeds dat je dat zelf kunt doen zonder dat de garantie vervalt. Maar waarom doen T-mobile en Samsung dat dan niet op verzoek van de klant?
Wat voor garantie heb ik als ik het zelf probeer en het misgaat?
Beide hebben mij meerdere malen afgewezen.
Sowieso heb ik meerdere vrienden afgeraden een toestel bij T-mobile aan te schaffen, juist vanwege die branded meuk die T-mobile erop zetten.

@T-mobile: wanneer halen jullie de branding van de toestellen af?
Reputatie 7
Badge +20
Hi AikibudoWarrior,

Ik heb daar op dit moment geen antwoord op. Houd dit lopende topic in de gaten voor eventuele updates.
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
Je zegt dat wel steeds dat je dat zelf kunt doen zonder dat de garantie vervalt. Maar waarom doen T-mobile en Samsung dat dan niet op verzoek van de klant?
Wat voor garantie heb ik als ik het zelf probeer en het misgaat?
Beide hebben mij meerdere malen afgewezen.
Sowieso heb ik meerdere vrienden afgeraden een toestel bij T-mobile aan te schaffen, juist vanwege die branded meuk die T-mobile erop zetten.

@T-mobile: wanneer halen jullie de branding van de toestellen af?

T-Mobile is degene die je opscheept met de branded firmware. Die gaan niet zichzelf tegenwerken door voor iedereen unbranded erop te zetten. Dat levert ze niets op. (Anders leverden ze wel gewoon meteen de unbranded firmware.) Overigens weten de meeste medewerkers(vooral winkelpersoneel) amper wat firmware is, laat staan hoe je moet flashen.

Samsung wil het niet doen omdat je het toestel via T-Mobile hebt, en alle toestel gerelateerde issues gaan via T-Mobile. Hun contract met T-Mobile stelt dat ze jou moeten doorverwijzen. Had je een toestel van bijvoorbeeld de Media Markt, dan was het verhaal waarschijnlijk anders geweest.

Wat betreft je garantie. Per EU Directive 1999/44/CE heb je als gebruiker het recht de software aan te passen zonder negatief effect op de garantie. Tenzij eventuele hardware schade het directe resultaat is van deze aanpassingen. (Waaronder bijvoorbeeld schade door oververhitting als je gaat overclocken.) (Ja, die EU is wel degelijk ergens goed voor.)

Mocht het mis gaan, dan kun je altijd aanspraak doen op de reparatie onder garantie zoals normaal. Daar verandert niets aan.

Overigens kun je het meestal zelf fixen, en het gaat eigenlijk alleen fataal mis als je telefoon door een lege batterij uit valt. (Maargoed, welke grapjas gaat er updaten met een bijna lege batterij? Dat gaat al sinds de eerste PC anno 1980 mis.) Als je de verkeerde firmware gebruikt faalt het proces al voor het proces daadwerkelijk begint.

Wat betreft wanneer ze de branding eraf halen... Nooit. Want het levert geld op.

(Overigens ben ik, net als alle andere klantexperts, geen medewerker van T-Mobile. Wij zijn allemaal gewoon klanten, en hebben helaas geen inspraak in de corporate besluiten die T-Mobile neemt. Anders was dit probleem overigens nooit ontstaan, want wij zijn al jaren fel tegen dit soort firmware branding praktijken.)
Hello everyone!

I have a Samsung S7 Edge (SM-G935G) bought from an online shop in the Netherlands, without a subscription, but I am a T-mobile (Netherlands) customer of old.

I assume that in this case t-mobile also controls the update process?

Dialling the code *#1234# I get the following:
AP: G935FXXU1BPLB
CP: G935FXXU1BPJJ
CSC: G935FPHN1BPK1

What does this tell you?

Thanks,
Radu
Hi Radu, welcome to the T-Mobile community.

No, you don't have T-Mobile branded firmware, as the CSC-code says you have PHN firmware. PHN means Dutch Unbranded firmware.

The last update for this firmware was in Dec '16, it was an android 6.0.1 update, you can check that on this page. You'll have to wait for Samsung to roll out the Nougat update.
Many thanks for the quick and informed reply!
Any ideas as to why we're not getting the update yet? Random news on the internets claim it should have started rolling out anywhere between the 17th and the 20th...

Thanks again!
Radu
Hi Radu.

It takes a while, as every country has it's own firmware and some of the countries also have Branded firmware. It's not as simple as just pressing a button. Every piece of firmware has to be written seperately. Also: the servers would probably instantly crash if Samsung would release the update for every device at the very same time and everyone tries to download it. I foresee a lot of very angry people if that would happen. ;)

As ShadowLea already mentioned in this topic: the UK Unbranded firmware has received the Nougat update. The rest is still on Marshmallow. The UK update has in fact been released the 17th, so that bit of info is correct. (However it only counts for the UK firmware.)

The other two with the android 7 update are useless to European devices, these are the United Arab Emirates firmware and Czech Branded firmware. You can see this for yourself on this page.

If it's a matter of 'life and death' (as a figure of speach), you can flash the UK Unbranded firmware on your device. (See Lea's post in this thread.) If, however, you can wait, then just wait for Samsung to release the update for the PHN firmware. (I know not everyone is keen on flashing firmware themselves.)
Thanks for your answer! Patience then...
Hoi, omdat ik dus problemen met mijn wifi heb. (telefoon gaat steeds op en van het wifi-netwerk)
Dit had ik dus niet met de S4, S4-active en S5 wil ik mijn s7edge dus upgraden naar Nougat.

Werkt mijn telefoon dan nog gewoon goed met T-mobile? Toen ik mijn telefoon kocht (bij T-mobile) had ik gewoon een unbranded-telefoon. Daar heb ik 2 weken gebruik van gemaakt, tot ik de sim-kaart van T-mobile erin deed. Toen ging hij dus naar een branded-telefoon....
De problemen met wifi had ik al vanaf dag 1....ligt dus niet aan de 'upgrade' door T-mobile

Hopen dat het met Nougat wel weer werkt zoals bij de S4, S4-active en S5....
Schijnt namelijk een bug in android6 te zitten waardoor dit soort problemen vaker voorkomen...
Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Werkt mijn telefoon dan nog gewoon goed met T-mobile?

Jazeker. Alle Unbranded EU firmwares bevatten dezelfde netwerk instellingen. Ze werken allemaal 100% met T-Mobile NL.

(Fun fact: De meeste toestellen die je koopt via Belsimpel en dergelijke zaken komen standaard met Franse, Duitse, Italiaanse of Engelse firmware, omdat die de toestellen importeren uit landen waar voorraad is. Ook als je ze koopt bij een T-Mobile abonnement. T-Mobile zelf zit vast aan Samsung Benelux als leverancier. Daarom heeft Belsimpel wel bepaalde kleuren die T-Mobile niet heeft, en zie je rond de release ook vaak dat Belsimpel wel kan leveren terwijl T-Mobile alles op heeft.).
@ShadowLea
Als je een toestel aanschaft BV bij GSM Easy, kan je dan eventueel een updaten downloaden van BV Engeland. Of kan je dan de menu taal niet in het nederlands zetten.....
Reputatie 7
Badge +9
@ShadowLea
Als je een toestel aanschaft BV bij GSM Easy, kan je dan eventueel een updaten downloaden van BV Engeland. Of kan je dan de menu taal niet in het nederlands zetten.....

Alle toestellen uit de EU(En Zwitserland, en Noorwegen, en ondanks de Brexit ook de UK) hebben alle Europese talen. Ook gewoon Nederlands. 🙂

In principe kun je alle Unbranded EU firmwares op alle EU toestellen zetten.

Reageer