Beantwoord

Cable error 8180

• 19 August 2020
  • 14 reacties
  • 1264 Bekeken

• is een nieuwe Poster
  • 4 reacties

Hello,

I have t-mobile home since more than 2 years and i never encountered such a problem with my connection, since about a week now, my internet keeps falling down every 5-10 min and even less.

I have tried restarting the modem, doing a factory reset, changing the DSL cable but in vain.

Could you please look into my issue?

Thanks for any help!

icon

Beste antwoord door Brian 3 September 2020, 10:30

Bekijk origineel

14 reacties

Hi @Brian and thanks for your reply! Actually, I have solved the issue myself. The cause of this problem is very weird and I really do not understand why this issue happened. 

To solve the issue, I tried the following things, and none of them worked:

1. I did (multiple) factory resets
  2. I checked my ISRA punt and noticed that only two cables were used. A technician changed my old ISRA punt back in March
  3. I checked my meter cupboard for a second possible ISRA punt, which was not there
  4. I changed the password of my router

As I said, none of these things helped, internet was still unstable and every 2-3 minutes internet would go down for around 2 minutes (both the WAN and INTERNET LEDs on my router would turn off).

Suddenly, I noticed that internet was working perfectly until I connected an old computer to the WiFi. So, I investigated more and I found out that internet started to have the unstable behavior when I connected to the 2.4GHz WiFi. I then disconnected all the devices from the 2.4GHz and connected them to the 5GHz WiFi and the problem disappeared. For my old computer, I bought a USB-to-WiFi adapter so that I could connect that computer to the 5GHz WiFi too. Finally, I disabled completely the 2.4GHz WiFi network from my router. After this, internet worked just fine with no issue at all in the last two days. To confirm this was the issue, this morning I re-enabled the 2.4GHz network on the router, connected my phone to it, and I saw how internet crashed again. Therefore, the issue was the 2.4GHz network.

As I said, this a super weird issue. I searched online and I could not find anyone that had my same issue. The only information I could find is here, but that didn’t work for me, as changing the password did not help in my case. So I have no idea why the 2.4GHz crashes my internet connection.

Reputatie 7

Hi @Yben Apologies for the late reply, you message slipped through the cracks. Thank you for the photo, that looks very clean and there doesn't seem to be any bridge tap present. It looks like the problem still persists is that correct? In that case I will make sure to forward this information to the grid operator and in most cases they will send over a mechanic to check the incoming line both from the datacenter end and your end. Do let me know, then I’ll get on this right away!

Reputatie 7

Hi @Yben, I just checked your connection remotely and there indeed seems to be something wrong. Your connection isn't stable and I don't seem to be able to enter the modem's connection log. I'm forwarding this to our technical department and depending on what they find I think we will send over a mechanic to swap out the modem. Due to the holiday period it might take a bit longer then usual but you will receive a message from us through e-mail! 

Reputatie 7

Hi @Yben, my colleagues sent you an e-mail on the 26th but it’s in Dutch so I’ll be happy to give you some more information. Our technical department has examined the incoming line and we have indication that there might be a ‘bridge tap’ present.

Bridge taps are located in or after the ISRA (your connection point) and are the responsibility of the home owner.
To explain a bridge tap more clearly: early on there were analog telephone lines and often more telephone sets were connected to them.  All were usually "knotted" together; all devices on a line so that you could listen / talk on each. In some cases these old lines are still connected to the ISRA (but no longer in use) and can cause interferences. This doesn’t always have to be the case which is why it can work fine for a long period but suddenly start causing trouble (this has to do with the way the internet signal is sent).
Getting rid of the tap itself is quite easy, however you do need to identify where the tap is located, otherwise you'll be cutting wires which needn't be cut. 

Haaving said all this, in some cases a bridge tap indication can return a “false positive” where there actually isn’t a bridge tap present but there’s a problem with the incoming line. If you’re not sure you can post a picture of your ISRA with the incoming and outgoing connections clearly visible, then I’ll be happy to assist to see if we can determine what might be causing the issue.

Hi Brian, my bad the email i received went straight to my junk folder that's why i didn't see it, here is a picture of what I've found is it this what you meant? https://ibb.co/g4R0jv8

Reputatie 7
Badge +4

Hey @Yben, thanks for the feedback! I've bundled all the information together and we'll monitor the connection in cooperation with the grid operator. Hopefully we'll manage to find the solution soon!

Just to be sure, I suppose that this is the only connection point in your home right? If there are multiple, I would highly suggest to try the others as well. Almost always the connection point near the fuse box works best. Thanks in advance and we're on it!

Reputatie 6

@Yben Thanks for letting us know Yben, we’ll keep you updated about the issue!

Reputatie 7

Hi @tompi , a weird reason indeed! We don’t see that too often, but I’m glad you were managed to find the problem and come up with a solution. What modem are you using currently? I’m interested in finding out what allows the problem to arise.

Hi @Boris, I have a Huawei HG659. It is a very weird issue indeed, I am curious to know if other customers that had this issue could solve the problem like I did

Hi, yes still the same problem! 

Hello everyone, I have exactly the same problem as @Yben . Internet was working perfectly for months and now the internet connection is down every five minutes and it is unusable. I have contacted the customer service and the technicians said it is the bridge tap problem, but that's weird because a technician changed my isra punt in March. Could you please look into my issue too? Thanks!

hello,

I’m still facing the same problem and i did not receive any email yet !

Hey, these are all the connections in the house https://ibb.co/6r018g6 

Reputatie 7

Hi @tompi Hmm that is strange. Do you happen to have any other DSL outlets connected? Old phone line sockets for example that are no longer used? Connected lines that are no longer in use can sometimes cause interference. Is it possible to upload some pictures so we can take a look and maybe figure out what might be causing the issues?

Reageer