Beantwoord

Instable internet connection - intempestive disconnections

Hello,

We lose internet access every 4-5 hours, and sometimes more often. We have to reboot the modem each time if we want the connection to come back.

It's been like this for a few month already, I'd say since March, and it's happening more often lately.  Ithas started to be really problematic as we are working from home.

There's no incident in the modem logs.

The modem is a HG659. 

Internet subscription Tmobile Premium 1000 mb/s ( and we only have 50mb, but that's another problem).

Disconnect often happen around 7am, 11am, and in the evening randomly.

What can we do to get a stable connection ?

Kind regards, 

Florent

icon

Beste antwoord door Brian 6 July 2020, 18:11

Bekijk origineel

19 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @FlorentB_FR 

Is this regarding DSL or fiber?

If fiber have you tried to replace your internetcable from mediaconverter to modem? Or maybe perform a factory reset of your modem by pressing the reset button on the back of your modem for about 10 seconds using a small object.

For DSL a factory reset could also help and how is your modem connected to your main ISRA most likely located in your fusebox?

Hello  @Waqqas ,

Fiber.

Sorry, what is a mediaconverter ?  The little box where the fiber is plugged ?

The ethernet cable between the little box and the router is the one provided by T-mobile ~2 years ago, we don't move it, so it should'nt be damaged.

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

You could try to replace it, who knows it may just help. The cable between the black box and modem.

And do you only use the T-mobile moden or do you have your own router/switches behind?

Also tried a factory reset as suggested?

• Changed cable
  • desactivated IPV6
  • I'm not using additional router/switches 

I'm waiting before doing a factory reset as I’ve got bad experiences with factory reset going wrong, that's the last thing I'll try,

Reputatie 7

Hi @FlorentB_FR, thank you for the additional information. Do the outages happen over Wifi or when connected with a network cable as well? If you’re only using Wifi then could you test the wired connection? This will help determine what the issue might be. If you are already using a wired connection then could you try logging in to the modem when it happens through http://192.168.1.1 to test if that is still possible.

You don’t have to worry about a factory reset, all it does is literally reset the modem to the factory settings after which it will apply any updates again. This usually helps resolve firmware issues and/or networl issues due to the wrong settings. Let me know what the results are!

Hello,

It's not about connecting with wifi or cable, the modem loses internet, and from what I saw today when trying to reach it by multiple means (wired/wifi), it seems more than just an internet issue, it's as if the whole modem is freezing, even if most of the lights are still on, only the internet one shutting down. Really odd that nothing is logged though, I would have loved being able to pinpoint the problem to make it easier to solve with t-mobile.

I'll try the factory reset tonight before going to bed, as yes, it really seems like some issue with the firmware/latest updates.

No problem today, seems like the firmware was the cause.

And in the end it didn't work, we still have the same issues

Beste T-mobile,

I ervaar sinds twee weken dezelfde problemen. Internet werkte prima altijd. Ik had wat verlies van snelheid en dat is ongeveer 1,5 maand geleden opgelost. Daar was ik super blij mee! Maar ook toen nooit last van echte problemen. Nu is het bijna onwerkbaar geworden. Soms wordt ik er 3 keer in een uur uitgegooid. Ik werk tegenwoordig 90% van de tijd thuis en ik loop hier nu echt tegen aan. Heb al meerdere malen gebeld om geholpen te worden, maar het land niet echt op de juiste plek heb ik het gevoel.

Als meerdere klanten dit ervaren, dan moet het probleem toch te achterhalen zijn?  Ik lees vergelijkbare berichten van klanten van ruim een jaar geleden m.b.t. een kabelfout die verdacht veel lijkt op wat ik nu mee maak. Ik wil gewoon graag weten wat het probleem is zodat ik of T-mobile er wat aan kan doen. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +16

Hi @FlorentB_FR, are the issues still ongoing? I've performed a line-analysis and can't spot any errors or disruptions regarding the connection. Could you please try to reset the Media Converter? That usually clears most of the disruptions. 

Can you tell me which dip-switches are turned on (switch is in the up position) on the red, rectangular area on the side of the converter - there is often a safety sticker attached to it? Check the image below to see what the switches and converter look like:

No worries! We won't stop until we've found a solution! If we can't figure it out right away, our techs will come to the rescue and they can make configuration changes that will fix the connection-issue! 😉

Reputatie 7
Badge +16

Goedemiddag @MBT_01, top dat je het aankaart op de Community, welkom! Heb je alle stappen doorlopen om de verbinding te herstellen? Heb je een Glasvezelverbinding op ben je aangesloten op DSL (Internet via de telefoonlijn)? 

Graag zoek ik voor je uit hoe ik kan helpen, maar ik kan je aansluiting niet vinden met de opgegeven informatie in je gebruikersprofiel. Zou je mij een privébericht kunnen sturen met jouw volledige adres (postcode + huisnummer), geboortedatum en de laatste vier cijfers van je IBAN, alsjeblieft? Dan check ik direct wat ik je voor kan betekenen. Samen komen we eruit! 💪😎

Hi @Jason,

How do you reset it ?

For the dip-switches :

all down except 3 and 4

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

@FlorentB_FR

Here is a topic about the switch settings on this MediaConverter (MC).

3 & 4 UP (MANUAL MODE) and the rest DOWN (1-2-5-6-7-8) should be a correct setting to function out of the box for most.

I tested in thew past also 1 & 6 UP (AUTO MODE) and the rest down, that also worked for me without any noticeable difference in speed.

Reset of the MC is done, by removing the power for 10 seconds and apply it again.

Hello,

I'm still facing some issues after the reset of the media converter and the HG659.

Tested with both dip switch setting (3&4, 1&6).

LEDs on the media-converter looks good when the disconnect happens, but it really looks like the HG659 is freezing.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

@FlorentB_FR 

I put some check marks in front of the LED indication that you should have when the line is up and running correctly,

Can you confirm this indication is also present on your MC and if you have problems with your connection, did any of the LED’s show another indication .. or are they still the same?

If they are still the same, it looks indeed a problem with your HG router.

Do you have any fixed IP’s assigned in your LAN to any device inside the DHCP range?

Speed measurements are done via a fixed cable and not done via Wifi?

What is your internet subscription look like, internet only or also IPTV and telephone?

If you only use internet and IPTV, there is an option to use you own router behind the MC with some additional VLAN settings. Here is a topic explaining in detail some of the steps, maybe you can look into that solution.

Hi Pieter,

That's a lot of questions !

About the LEDs on the MC, nothing's wrong ( The FO is Orange because we have the 1000M, green is for 100M).

No IP assigned in our LAN inside DHCP range.

speed measurements are done via cable (last ones average = 600down/950up).

We’re not using IPTV and we’re not using the phone (it's really sad there's no subscription without TV and phone...).

We don't have our own router, we only have t-mobile HG659.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

Hello @FlorentB_FR 

The LED indications are looking good, but your download is under performing looking at your test.

And about the ‘Only Internet” option, already for years i only have ‘Only Internet’. What i understand you have the full package, but only using 1/3 of it. 

You should be able in your “My TMobile Thuis” to see your contracts and change it, but i am not sure about it .. because i never had to do that. Maybe other members can tell you if it is possible to adjust your contract to “Only Internet”. Otherwise contact the helpdesk and ask them to assist you in adjusting your account to your needs.

TMT even has an internet page were is claimed you can take “Only Internet” , without all the bells.

I'll keep looking at the MB and the HG659 behaviour for a few days, and I suppose the next step will be to request a replacement for the HG659.

We’re not using IPTV and we’re not using the phone (it's really sad there's no subscription without TV and phone...).

Actually T-Mobile has a subscription without TV and phone.. The only thing that is obligatory is the internet subscription; the TV and fixed line you can turn off by calling the customer service (you have to send back the iptv box after doing so, but thats logic).

[The only provider where you can´t get a subscription without television in the Netherlands is Ziggo as far as I know]

Reageer