Beantwoord

Use my own router - disable DHCP on Huawai HG659

• 26 July 2019
  • 3 reacties
  • 1719 Bekeken

• heeft eerste post geplaatst
  • 1 reactie
Hi,

First of all, sorry for the English as I've just moved to the Netherlands! I have T-mobile internet at home and I have two questions about configuration. I've already searched the forum and cannot find the info I need:

1) As T-Mobile has remote access to my Huawei router, T-Mobile also has access to all the network devices on my network as they have the admin password. What will prevent a T-Mobile employee accessing my data? I've just moved from a less developed country well known for hacking so I have some healthy paranoia about my network access, especially as I remotely access a home server with all my personal and financial information and have CCTV cameras around the house.

2) Related to 1) above, I normally use a DSL modem from my provider and have my own network configured using an Archer C20 router for all my devices, with an old Billion BiPAC 8200N set up as a Wireless Access Point. So I want to use the HG659 only for modem, TV and phone and will use the Archer to configure my network. I have accessed the HG659 and cannot see any obvious options to disable the DHCP or to configure it as a simple access point.

I need to keep my TV and phone, so replacing the HG659 is not an option.

Can anyone assist? If the topic is already covered in the forums then please point me to it.

Thanks in advance.
icon

Beste antwoord door Brian 31 July 2019, 15:46

Bekijk origineel

3 reacties

Reputatie 7
Hi @m8dm8tt, welcome to the Netherlands! Hopefully your move went well. The acces we have to your router is restricted. We can get a read on the connection to your router and we can see how many devices are connected and what the IP and MAC addresses are. But that's it. We cannot acces your devices themselves and I cannot log-in to your router with admin acces remotely so you absolutely do not have to worry about that. If you do not feel safe then you can always connect your own modem however you won't be able to use VOIP in that case.

I'm honestly not really sure on how you set your router to configure the network but a google search did point me to some 'How to's' on setting up the Archer's DHCP settings. Hopefully this will help you get started!
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I am ok with setting up my Archer router (in fact it is already set up from my previous home) however I need to know how to disable DHCP on the Huawei router to avoid addressing conflicts. Is this possible, so that the Huawei functions as only modem, VOIP and TV?

Matt
Reputatie 6
to avoid addressing conflicts.
This should not be the case if you connect routers in series.
But maybe you use a LAN-LAN connection for the Archer, but then it does not work as a router.
Or you should look for the IP-MAC binding or static adressing in the Huawei.

Reageer