Beantwoord

TV & LAN Huawei Home Gateway 659

• 20 May 2019
  • 7 reacties
  • 715 Bekeken

Reputatie 1
  • is een Top Poster
  • 7 reacties
Ports 1 & 2 are dedicated to the LAN / Web Ports 3 & 4 are dedicated to D / IPTV
I am installing cables to multiple locations for both cabled LAN and D / IPTV. Do I need to purchase separate switches for the LAN (Ports 1 & 2) to extend beyond two locations and in addition another separate switch for D / IPTV (Ports 3 & 4) Thus maintaining two separate physical networks and switches - or, I can use the same switch to run both networks on a single physical infrastructure?

icon

Beste antwoord door Pieter_B 28 May 2019, 17:29

Bekijk origineel

7 reacties

Reputatie 1
Yes! you have it Pieter ! 🙂 it's as your diagram with the nice Red line splitting it. Or/Or - it goes to the first post asking the question do I do this? or do I do that?

So the answer, as it is reasonably easy for me is the first option with the two LAN's and two switches. I take your point about the CAT 6/7 - thank you😊

It would be nice to make a fibre network in the house for total future proof - but to be honest, 1Gb is enough (this year - LOL )
Reputatie 7
Hi @wonko, that's a good question! That short answer is yes, for now. The long answer is: Yes, for now but there is a way around this. In this topic you can find a way to let both Internet and TV go through the same connection. Call however will still be separate.
Reputatie 1
Hi Brian,

Unfortunately, that would require me to purchase two Draytek routers and a more complex switch.

I did Have a Draytek Router from T-Mobile but they chose to ‘upgrade’ the router which has substantially less functionality to the user available and absolutely no way (I can see) to establish V-LAN’s hence my question.

So in short, there is a requirement to build dual physical layers to enable TV and Internet wired throughout the house – or investing in substantial equipment and establish V-LAN’s in lieu of T-Mobiles apparent cheap solution Huawei HG659

I suppose whilst there is an inconvenience to installing two physical layers, it may have a longer term application as yet unidentified where I could implement multiple separate virtual layers across them.

Still it is disappointing that T-Mobile have chosen such a poor customer solution don’t you think?
Reputatie 7
Hi @wonko, the current solution is perfectly fine for your average customer but I agree it can get difficult with certain setups. Which is why our newly introduced modem no longer has these port requirements and we are working on an update for the Huawei so that it also no longer has this requirement. I don't have an exact timeline currently but expect this to roll out in the coming weeks.
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
Hello @wonko

The topic @Brian refers to is indeed a perosn who owned Draytek equipment.

Your installation needs only for the section of the combination Internet & IPTV some Managed switching devices. There is a topic here with the setup of that, called "Internet and IPTV over one single UTP cable.

For a professional installation, because it looks like that is what you want to build, i would recommend Ubiquity switches. (example)

So the recomende setup could look like this

The only thing i did not take in account, is the streaming media computer.
For me is the drawing unclear how that is connected to the Huawei, it looks like DMZ .. but i am not sure.
Reputatie 1
Danku Pieter & Brian - most helpful.

Pieter, the media streamer is to represent the IPTV service being distinct from the web but I accept I didn't make that clear. (As it happens, I do have a media streamer on the LAN but that uses a WiFi Repeater to interface to the LAN which I've also not shown as the PC's merely represent devices on the LAN as opposed to an literal representation of the physical network)

Also the diagram is either the top two (separate LAN's) or, the bottom singular combined LAN - thus as per your amendment, can you help me understand why would I need a second switch if the first is hosting both Ports (1/2) and (3/4) and all that is between Switch 1 and 2 is a single CAT5e LAN cable? surely I only need to buy one VLAN capable Switch to interface the physical infrastructure to the Huawei Router?

Brian, thanks for the information too - that will be good - when it comes along.

As it happens, running the additional CAT 5e cables is not too problematic aside some time in the crawl space and some work with the walls and floor (yuk 😣) Therefore as I am for the most part, running one cable, it's almost as easy to run two whilst I'm in there...

BTW, I am no VLAN expert! (understand the concept - never implemented one) but am always happy to learn ☺️
Reputatie 7
Badge +3
My head is spinning now a little bit, because i can't get my head around what you now want .. i had to read it many times to figure out what you want.
So the drawing is a representation of an OR/OR setup?

If the option is there to bring separate cables, i surly would recommend that option.

The other option "all over one cable" is mostly advised to people that have only one cable running from the router to a device and can't pull another wire, but now want Internet and IPTV on that location.

On the question why you need a switch on the beginning of the single line is, you have to create VLAN's on one side to separate them on the other side by the other switch.

My advice is to go for a better quality Cat UTP cable, to be more future proof use at least a Cat 6a or Cat 7.
This to avoid you have speed problems in the future due to the used type Cat cable.

Reageer