Beantwoord

Use secondary router as part of the same LAN with the second having the DHCP etc

• 24 March 2021
  • 5 reacties
  • 766 Bekeken

Hello,

I have a T-Mobile internet subscription and with that a ZYXEL VMG8825-T50 modem. I recently bought an additional router (ASUS RT-AX82U) for my home network for multiple reasons amongst which additional range, WIFI 6 and additional functionalities (VPN etc.). I got most things working nicely after some port forwarding however one problem remains. Both of the devices host a DHCP server which basically creates two LANs. Because of this two devices that are each connected to another router can’t find each other on the network (A phone and a chromecast for example). So I would like to merge these two LANs into one such that I can connect to either router via WIFI and be able to find all the other devices in the network. This while having the secondary ASUS router as my primary router (DHCP etc.)

Some additional points: 

• I cannot put my secondary router into AP mode or something similar. It has more advanced DHCP features and other features which I cannot use in AP mode.

• I would like to use the WIFI of both routers since I need the additional range of a second wifi spot. 

• I don’t mind having less features available on the ZYXEL router

In my understanding the DHCP-relais mode in the LAN-configuratie settings of the ZYXEL router are exactly what I need. However once I turn this on I lose internet connections everywhere, so even wired and wireless directly to the ZYXEL router and the only way out is resetting the ZYXEL router to its factory settings.

Could you please help me achieve a united LAN once more.

Kind regards,

Sako 

icon

Beste antwoord door yalerta 25 March 2021, 13:58

Bekijk origineel

5 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +5

Set Zyxel to DHCP relais

Set DHCP relais IP adres to 192.168.1.2

Connect Asus LAN port to Zyxel LAN port (don't use WAN poort on Asus)

Set Asus to a FIXED IP adres 192.168.1.2

Enable DHCP server on Asus

I don't no if this works. I'm not known with the DHCP relais function, but this way you have your routers in the same subnet.

Reputatie 7
Badge +5

@sakoarts 

I have done a bit more research on this DHCP relay function. With this function a DHCP server in a specific subnet can act as DHCP server in another subnet.

So in your case @sakoarts its probably not required to use the DHCP-relay function in the Zyxel, just set Zyxel DHCP to off. Make sure the Zyxel has a fixed IP 192.168.1.1 in the network setting, wich adres you must reserve in the Asus if possible (mostly done by MAC adress)

DHCP server is only managing the connected devices and there IP adress.
Maybe it's needed to set some DNS servers in the Asus, you can use 8.8.8.8 (google) or 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare) and of course make the LAN to LAN connection between the routers.

@yalerta 

Thanks a lot for your swift reply! I’ll give it a go this evening. For some clarification:

Right now I have the routers connected LAN to WAN, should I move it to a LAN port on the ASUS side?

I have a PiHole as network DNS which is connected to the ASUS router. I already set up the ASUS routher to explicitly use this DNS. Should I then still change anything in the Zyxel or Asus router, or will it just take over the DNS settings of the Asus router?

Reputatie 7
Badge +5

Yes make a LAN to LAN connection. Borth routers are then in the same subnet 192.168.1.x

No changes needed for the DNS settings as you use the PiHole.

@yalerta

I just tried turning off the DHCP and setting a fixed IP on the Zyxel router, however, I ended up resetting the Zyxel router again since it did not work. This probably has to do with the ASUS DHCP server being set on the 192.168.50.X range. Though I’m not sure how to handle this. I’d rather keep it on the 50 range since all other devices have been set up in this way. Can I change the Zyxel router to have an IP like 192.168.50.2 and then turn off DHCP. Should it work then?

Reageer