Beantwoord

Wired and wifi devices could not interact between each other

• 17 August 2022
  • 12 reacties
  • 384 Bekeken

Recently, I’ve connected to T-Mobile home internet. I have DX5401-B0 wifi router. I have devices that connected to wifi network, and the others connected to wired network. I need to access to devices that connected to wired network from wifi. But I can’t. They could ping each other, but nothing except that. For example, I try to do ssh connection from my laptop connected to wifi to my workstation connected to wired, and I could not, connection timeout. If I reconnect workstation to wifi everything works as expected.

Could you please say how can I setup my router so wifi connected devices could interact with wired connected devices?

icon

Beste antwoord door Sander 21 August 2022, 14:24

Bekijk origineel

This topic has been closed for comments

12 reacties

Reputatie 7

Hi @Vasilii,

Thanks for your message and a warm welcome to the Community! Am I right in thinking you want your wired and wireless devices set up as a mesh and you want to be able to access both kind of devices when the mesh is active? Please let us know if I'm correct, so we can work out a way to help you out. The Community is here for you.

Hi @Boris,

Thanks for response! No, mesh is a different thing.
So wireless router contains 4 ethernet ports for wired LAN network and at the same time it transmit wifi. And I have devices that connected to ethernet ports of this router and devices that connected to wifi network. Actually, on IP-level it’s the same network: all devices got their IP-addresses from the same pool (like 192.168.0.0/24). And they could ping each other! But for some reason only ping works! Other protocols like TCP or UDP are not working between wired and wifi segments of same LAN network. And I would like to find a way how to setup this LAN network so all protocols/ports etc. could work between all segments (wired and wireless). 

Do I need to provide more info or my setup is clear, but there is no any resolution? 

Reputatie 7

Hi @Vasilii,

That's an interesting puzzle! My guess is that the settings aren't correct yet. It probably has somethin to do with DMZ or portforwarding. Perhaps you can bind a IP to mac to make it easier for a Wifi connected device to find and connect to the network. For standard information on DMZ, port forward check out this topic: DMZ and port foward topic. The videos are in English, so that's great!

If you still have trouble connecting, could you tell us what devices you have set up and what it is you want to do when connecting through a mobile device. Is it a document on a mobile that you want to print on a wired printer?

Hi @Sander!

I’m sure it is nothing connected to DMZ. DMZ is a feature such that all WAN traffic would be forwarded to single particular ip-address in LAN network. And my question is regarding only LAN traffic routing.

My setup, as I described earlier, is that I would like to access to my workstation connected to ethernet wired port from my laptop connected to wifi of the same router (within same LAN) with ssh protocol (for example). As I mentioned above, I could ping my workstation and I can ssh there if both workstation and laptop connected to wifi network. But if workstation connected to wired network I could only ping, and not ssh there.
So I think router blocks TCP/UDP traffic between wifi and ethernet. And I would like to know how could I allow it.
Maybe there is some admin access to this router? (I have Zyxel DX5401-B0 as I also mentioned). 
Maybe T-Mobile home internet support could try to reproduce my setup and check if it works?

Reputatie 7

Hi @Vasilii, thanks a lot for providing us with more information! I want to direct you to the following two topics:

My advice is to check the settings that are written in the first topic when you're using your own equipment. Will you let me know if this was the solution for you? Fingers crossed!🤞

Recently, I’ve connected to T-Mobile home internet. I have DX5401-B0 wifi router.

You mean the Zyxel T54, right?

I have devices that connected to wifi network, and the others connected to wired network. I need to access to devices that connected to wired network from wifi. But I can’t. They could ping each other, but nothing except that. For example, I try to do ssh connection from my laptop connected to wifi to my workstation connected to wired, and I could not, connection timeout. If I reconnect workstation to wifi everything works as expected.

There are no special requirements to connect to devices on your local network, if you can't connect to devices on your own network it is often due to a firewall.

Have you turned off the firewall on your devices? Usually for Wi-Fi there's another Firewall setting asside of the Firewall on the LAN side. If turned on this might cause issues to connect to certain services.

DX5401-B0 also known as the Zyxel T54 i asume so not using his own router.

Hi @Gerrit078!

Yes, it seems it’s Zyxel T54.

Yes, there should be no special requirements to connect devices within network (even if they are in different physical segments on it). Regarding router I’ve disabled firewall, but it not helps.

On my devices there is no firewall at all. Workstation uses ubuntu linux, ufw disabled, iptables has no rules, every packet is accepted. Also I’ve tried not only my workstation.

I’m pretty sure it’s something with routing in this wifi router... Can anybody in T-mobile support reproduce this problem?

Anyone? @Boris @Sander @Lisa @Gerrit078 ?

Reputatie 7

Hi @Vasilii,

Thanks for your response! I've checked from our end and see a stable stream and connection coming into the modem. I would advice a factory reset however, as the modem does seem to have run for a couple of weeks and start building from scratch: 

I can understand that's not preferable and would like for our inhouse techies to keep an eye on this set-up. I know for a fact that @Gerrit078 and @Pieter_B are very handy when it comes to these kind of set-ups. Gentlemen, are you able to help us out?

Hi @Boris!

I’m not sure that we’re talking about the same things :-) Could you please specify what exactly did you check? How stable stream between my end and yours connected to my LAN issue? My setup should work even there would be no WAN connection at all, because I’m talking only about local connectivity between wireless and wired networks which Zyxel T-54 router provided in my apartment.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

@Vasilii 

Your problems sounds like a “Wireless AP Isolation” security setting, but this is most of the time a setup used when using a Guest Wifi network.

This should normally not something used between private LAN / Wifi networks.

I do not own the T54, so i can not see if there is any setting or option to do so.