Beantwoord

Strange people coming to my house and asking personal data on behalf of T-Mobile

• 25 October 2022
  • 9 reacties
  • 116 Bekeken

Reputatie 1
  • is een nieuwe Poster
  • 4 reacties

Hello,

Recently some people came to my house and told me that they are from T-Mobile. They asked my personal data in order to make an appointment for connecting me to optical fiber internet. T-Mobile already has all my personal data and they can just call me and make an appointment. Why would they need to send some people to my house?

Does it happen with anyone else? Is it a really people from T-Mobile or it is another scam?

icon

Beste antwoord door Boris 26 October 2022, 11:22

Bekijk origineel

9 reacties

Reputatie 7

Hi @zlelik, thanks for your message and welcome to our Community! I've checked out the situation and see that there's still lots of work needed to be done to fix the installation at your address. To be able to make sure we can arrange this in your place, we still need to place a FTU and connect your house to the grid. To be able to do that our contractor has been notified to measure the premises. A visit is needed in this case. Can you tell me more about the people who visited you? 

Reputatie 1

Hi @zlelik, thanks for your message and welcome to our Community! I've checked out the situation and see that there's still lots of work needed to be done to fix the installation at your address. To be able to make sure we can arrange this in your place, we still need to place a FTU and connect your house to the grid. To be able to do that our contractor has been notified to measure the premises. A visit is needed in this case. Can you tell me more about the people who visited you? 

Hi Boris,

Thank you for your reply. There were 2 visits. First people from Open Dutch Fiber came. They were asking for personal data. I contacted Open Dutch Fiber and they confirmed that it was their people. After 1 week or so other people came. They told me that they are from T-Mobile. The man had T-Mobile hoody and badge. He was asking for my personal data as well, such as email, phone, etc. I refused to provide any data. Also I believe I provide all this data when I make a contract with T-Mobile. I would expect that someone from T-Mobile would call me on the phone number which I filled when I requested optical fiber in my house and make an appointment or tell to me date and time range when technician will come. This is why I was surprised, why T-Mobile is asking it if I already provided all of this?

Reputatie 7
Badge +16

Hi @zlelik, the second visit seems to have been a premises-check which Boris has described in his post. This is what we call a “schouw” in Dutch and is needed for the FTU placement and such. 

T-Mobile, like every Fiber-provider, has contractors and sub-contractors who provide the in-home installation of the Fiber-units. These contractors all operate on their own schedule; that's why T-Mobile didn't provide you with an appointment and/or date regarding that specific appointment.

Reputatie 1

Hi @zlelik, the second visit seems to have been a premises-check which Boris has described in his post. This is what we call a “schouw” in Dutch and is needed for the FTU placement and such. 

T-Mobile, like every Fiber-provider, has contractors and sub-contractors who provide the in-home installation of the Fiber-units. These contractors all operate on their own schedule; that's why T-Mobile didn't provide you with an appointment and/or date regarding that specific appointment.

Why T-Mobile did not provide my phone number to the sub-contractors and they just call me to make an appointment? Why T-Mobile did not provide all required data to sub-contractors that they do not need to come at all for gathering my data. Why they need to come without an appointment and ask for the personal data which looks like criminal activity?

Also, during the second visit it was a person who told me that he is directly from T-Mobile, not from any contractor or subcontractor. Again, can you confirm that it was really person from T-Mobile who came on 17 October 2022 around 17:00 or not? If not I will call the police and report this.
I found the dates of the visits: first visit was 7 October 2022 around 15:00-16:00, Second visit 17 October 2022 around 17:00.

Reputatie 7
Badge +16

@zlelik The contractors usually inform you by means of a physical letter prior to the appointment/visit. The second visit, however, should have been scheduled with you - unless you gave permission beforehand of course. I don't necessarily have the tools to check or confirm whether your second appointment should have been on the 17th of October since that's a personal agreement. What I do want to check, is if these people are who they said to have been. I've asked our contact person and will give you an update shortly!

Reputatie 1

@zlelik The contractors usually inform you by means of a physical letter prior to the appointment/visit. The second visit, however, should have been scheduled with you - unless you gave permission beforehand of course. I don't necessarily have the tools to check or confirm whether your second appointment should have been on the 17th of October since that's a personal agreement. What I do want to check, is if these people are who they said to have been. I've asked our contact person and will give you an update shortly!

I did not give any permissions and I did not make any appointments. Also I did not receive any physical letters. They just came out of nowhere.

Reputatie 7
Badge +16

@zlelik When you order a new Fiber-line, contractors always come by to check up on the current situation at home - that's almost always without notice. The second visit sounds like either the “schouw” or some random sales people - unrelated to your order. I'm still waiting on a definitive answer from our contact and will keep you posted.

Have an amazing weekend! 😄

Reputatie 1

@zlelik When you order a new Fiber-line, contractors always come by to check up on the current situation at home - that's almost always without notice. The second visit sounds like either the “schouw” or some random sales people - unrelated to your order. I'm still waiting on a definitive answer from our contact and will keep you posted.

Have an amazing weekend! 😄

What they want to check exactly? They were only asking for personal data: email, phone number, etc., which I already provided to T-Mobile when I order new Fiber-line.

Reputatie 7
Badge +4

Hey @zlelik, that is a great question you pose and one that @Jason's is dying to find out for you! I agree with Jason, it sounds like some random sales people or people for a ‘schouw’, but as we do not know it for sure he already started an investigation for you. I hope that we will be able to tell you more soon! 

Reageer