Can I use my own Modem that has a built-in VPN?

• 25 April 2023
  • 6 reacties
  • 79 Bekeken

• is een nieuwe Poster
  • 3 reacties

I want to use Fibreoptic Internet with my VPN on my current modem. Is this possible as I understand the T-Mobile Modem cannot be put into Bridge Mode?

Waqqas 11 maanden geleden

Hello @kburt 

If your modem/router has support for VLAN then you can connect it to the ONT, just tag VLAN 300 on the WAN port.

Bekijk origineel

6 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @kburt 

If your modem/router has support for VLAN then you can connect it to the ONT, just tag VLAN 300 on the WAN port.

Thank you for this reply, but Im afraid I am a novice at this. Can you please explain what,  ‘connect it to the ONT, just tag VLAN 300 on the WAN port.’ specifically means?

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @kburt 

Which modem/router do you have? And the ONT is the mediaconverter between Fiber connection point and router.

The Router is Netgear R6400v2. It has been made specifically with a VPN built in so that you can choose which appliances that are connected to it in your house can use the VPN. I use it every day. 

We are about to have T-Mobile Fibreglass and I am now worried as the ISP modem has to be in Bridge Mode so that the router will be the main internet VPN provider (or not). 

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@kburt

Quickly searched for the specifications of the router and there is no support for VLAN.

What you could do is connect the Netgear to any LAN port of the T-Mobile router, disable DHCP on the Netgear and appoint a fixed IP address for your Netgear via the interface of the T-Mobile router and activate a DMZ rule so all traffic goes to your Netgear.

Thank you for your work. Once the T-Mobile router arrives, Ill try that and report back.

Reageer