Beantwoord

Recommendation for mesh device with T-54

• 27 October 2022
  • 8 reacties
  • 780 Bekeken

Dear all,

I have a Zyxel T-54 router from T-mobile. Is there any (cheap) mesh device I can buy?

I need 2 to 3 devices. I want to connect also T-mobile TV device to one of these mesh devices too.

I’m aware of Wi-Fi plus from T-mobile and I used to use it before. But it will be my last option.

Also no Wi-Fi extender please.

icon

Beste antwoord door eric 27 October 2022, 15:47

Bekijk origineel

8 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +14

Deco M5 wifi mesh sets are not so expensive and very effective! If you need higher bandwiths and more stable backend connection, choose the M9.

Deco M5 wifi mesh sets are not so expensive and very effective! If you need higher bandwiths and more stable backend connection, choose the M9.

Thank you for your answer, Eric.

I quickly checked the product and it looks nice.

And one thing I see is, the product is not from Zyxel. And I assume you recommended this because they work well together with Zyxel.

Considering the different brands, please let me ask you the same questions one more time.

1. It works with T-54 Wifi 6 mode?
  2. Can I still connect T-mobile TV box via this mesh device?
  3. Can I send WOL signal to the devices attached to the mesh device?
  4. Can I connect them to the devices attached to the mesh device using DDNS?

I’m asking these because I thought that router companies don’t allow mesh devices from other companies to be attached to their routers.

Thanks.

Reputatie 7
Badge +14

You mentioned cheap so no, the Deco product is not wifi 6. If you can spend more money, read (google translate) this review test. If you would like to have a mesh network where the Zyxcel router is part of, than you need Zyxcel wifi access points.  But, these wifi plus points are not wifi 6.

The Deco system works fine when you switch off the wifi in the Zyxcel and only use the mesh network of the Deco.

You mentioned cheap so no, the Deco product is not wifi 6. If you can spend more money, read (google translate) this review test. If you would like to have a mesh network where the Zyxcel router is part of, than you need Zyxcel wifi access points.  But, these wifi plus points are not wifi 6.

The Deco system works fine when you switch off the wifi in the Zyxcel and only use the mesh network of the Deco.

Thanks. It is good to know that I need to have only Zyxel mesh devices. I just looked around in the market and indeed, Wi-Fi 6 is more expensive. If I buy Zyxel mesh devices outside of T-mobile, will they still work with T-54 from T-mobile?

I also further checked this forum. It seems like I can use other router with mesh devices directly to the media converter if I can adjust VLAN values.

So, in case I buy a 3rd party router / mesh devices, is there any limitation in using T-mobile TV service or landline telephone?

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @Dlkfj39uB 

If you purchase a VLAN capable router with mesh devices than you can remove the Zyxel and connect your own router to the mediaconverter.

You only need to tag VLAN 300 to the WAN side in the router interface and internet and IPTV will work.

A landline phone will only work via a RJ11 port but if you only have RJ45 ports than you could purchase a phone converter for the phone. There are no restrictions for IPTV 

Hello @Dlkfj39uB 

If you purchase a VLAN capable router with mesh devices than you can remove the Zyxel and connect your own router to the mediaconverter.

You only need to tag VLAN 300 to the WAN side in the router interface and internet and IPTV will work.

A landline phone will only work via a RJ11 port but if you only have RJ45 ports than you could purchase a phone converter for the phone. There are no restrictions for IPTV 

Hi Waqqas,

Thanks for your reply.

It is clear with the 3rd party router + mesh combination.

But what about this? The below link is a Zyxel mesh device which is not supported by T-mobile.

Can it be integrated into T-54 router seamlessly? This device is just an example, but I may buy mesh devices from Zyxel with WiFi 6..

https://www.amazon.nl/Zyxel-WSM20-EU0201F-mesh-systeem-huiselijke-compatibel/dp/B09NDT9KM3/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_nl_NL=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=22KULH55EVEE1&keywords=zyxel+mesh+wifi+6&qid=1666948705&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjUwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=zyxel+mesh+wifi+6%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-4

Reputatie 6
Badge +3

Hi @Dlkfj39uB

These will work in the same way as the Deco mentioned before, If you want somethings that integrates with the T54, only the T-Mobile supplied Mesh access points will work. 

Hi @Dlkfj39uB

These will work in the same way as the Deco mentioned before, If you want somethings that integrates with the T54, only the T-Mobile supplied Mesh access points will work. 

Thanks. It is a pity that I cannot buy off Zyxel mesh devices.

We can close this topic.

Thanks to everyone for your replies one more time.

Reageer