Streaming platforms/games etc say I'm using a proxy when I'm not

• heeft eerste post geplaatst
  • 1 reactie

Hi All. Very suddenly a few days ago every service that checks location started saying I'm using a proxy and am "not in the Netherlands" when I am and am definitely not using any vpn. 

My public IP says it is in NL but is a 143.* so it must have recently changed since before it was an 80.*. I tried forcing it to reset (shut down modem and optic connector for 72 hours which was fun), and set DNS back to default. Using my mobile data or an actual VPN client seems to fix it but it's been going on for a while. Out of curiosity I chatted to Playstation and Netflix support and they insist I'm using a VPN or t mobile is using a proxy. The IP doesn't appear to be blacklisted.

I'm at a loss, anyone else experienced this before? 

This topic has been closed for comments

10 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @Jords 

Do you have the same issue on other devices too? Also make sure you are directly connected to the T-Mobile router.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

Hello @Jords 

According to this info some public IP address ranges starting with 143 can be assigned to (WBA) T-Mobile Home users.

Cheers,

Folkert

Yeah I have this problem on all devices and am connected directly to the t mobile (zyxel) router, when trying my neighbors connection (also t mobile) I don't have this issue

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

Yeah I have this problem on all devices and am connected directly to the t mobile (zyxel) router, when trying my neighbors connection (also t mobile) I don't have this issue

Do they have a public IP address in the same or in another range? 

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@Jords 

You can also perform a factory reset of the router by pressing the reset button on the back of the router for about 10 seconds with a needle and then try again.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

Hi @Waqqas 

Everything works with the neighbours TMT so it maybe a problem with the external IP address. That's why I asked himfor the neighbours external IP address to compare.

A facory reset most likely doesn't change this IP address, that's why @Jords already switched off all hardware for 72 hours...

Cheers,

Folkert

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hey @Folkert 🙂

I didn't suggest a factory reset to change IP address but I meant all settings will go to their default values, maybe it'll help?

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

Hey @Folkert 🙂

I didn't suggest a factory reset to change IP address but I meant all settings will go to their default values, maybe it'll help?

Hey @Waqqas 

The problem is that the streaming platform says that @Jords is not located in the Netherlands and is using a proxy. This platform can´t see anything local so maybe the external IP address might be the problem. Also because at the neighbours TMT everything is working fine.

That's why I asked for the external IP address of the neighbours to compare.

It wouldn't be the first time an IP range is blacklisted somewhere for whatever reason...

Reputatie 5

@Jords  Additionally, it can happen that you got a newly allocated IP address assigned. T-Mobile is quickly growing, so quite often, new ranges of IP adresses are acquired. It takes a while before the geolocation is updated in all registers, and if you're unlucky that your game server uses an outdated source, you'll stumble upon this issue. I see it happening more with new ranges, but theres not much a provider can do against it. The other option is not having enough IP adresses to serve all customers.

To avoid it, you can leave the modem powerless for at least an hour. Good chance you'll get an address from a different range what solves your problem. 

@Jords

It might be an idea to check and have a look at what you see if you enter your IP Address on this website (IP2location) and also on this website (Maxmind).

These websites offer fairly up-to-date databases that show which city and/or region it is linked to as well as which country this is.

If you also look at this page, you should see if the IP Address is known as proxy IP. If this is the case, it would show the information after the Services and/or Assignment.

Not that T-Mobile can do something against it, but maybe it might help investigating if databases and information are all up to date. If not, it might take up to days or weeks till those databases have been updated.