Wi-fi problem with iPhones (zyxel T-54)

• 14 February 2023
  • 16 reacties
  • 709 Bekeken

I have got multiple connection problems with iPhones and Zyxel t-54. 

Around 5  months ago we have purchased 1000 mb/s fiber  optic internet with Zyxel t-54 router for wi-fi connection. Everything was working perfectly for the first few  months until the new year (2023) , unfortunately, after one week into new year, our wi-fi started to show problems. 

The problem is that iPhones are often disconnected from wi-fi, or do not receive internet from it, now the problem has  increased as devices cannot connect to wi-fi at all (when you try, it shows that the password is incorrect, even though it's correct). The problem only occurs with iPhone devices, and additionally, every iPhone shows that the wi-fi has low security (WPA/ WPA2), but I have checked and the router has WPA3 personal standards which are ideal for iPhones.

I tried everything: restarting the router, disconnecting the plug, restarting iPhones, clearing network settings and memory on iPhones, etc. Sooner or later e verything failed, I also tried to look for an answer in the admin setting of the router/ internet and observed that even though iPhone is connected to wi-fi, you cannot see this device among connected devices. From time to time they appeared but not a lot of time had to pass till you couldn't see them. Additionally, I have contacted Apple customer service multiple times and tried rebooting the phone, have done a diagnosis etc. and everything showed the same result- no problem with iPhone.

Is there any solution to this problem if it becomes unbearable? Can someone help? 

16 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi @MichalKob welcome to our Community! Thanks for pointing it out. Which iPhones are involved and are the devices up to date? Have you tried separating your wifi freqeunties from each other? So that you get a separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz connection. This can sometimes be the solution in this situation. I look forward to hearing back from you!

iPhones used in the house are iPhone 12 mini, 13 and another 13 every one of them is up to date. Yes, I have tried it, sometimes it helps but not for a long time. I’m going to try that again, but this time I’m going to switch off 5G band, because when both of them are working it does not solve the problem.

Do you have any other possible solutions?

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @MichalKob 

Did you change anything in your network since new year like adding a router, repeater or switch?

You could also perform.a factory reset so all settings will go to default. Press the reset button on the back of the Zyxel for around 10 seconds using a small object.

Hello @MichalKob 

Did you change anything in your network since new year like adding a router, repeater or switch?

You could also perform.a factory reset so all settings will go to default. Press the reset button on the back of the Zyxel for around 10 seconds using a small object.

No, I haven’t changed a thing. I will try factory resetting the router. 

I have been trying various solutions for the past two weeks to fix my internet connection issue, but unfortunately, none of them have worked so far. I'm wondering if anyone has any additional ideas or has experienced a similar problem.

What course of action should I take? Should I visit T-mobile and request a replacement router?

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi @MichalKob, I understand that the wifi isn’t optimized yet and leaves something to be desired. I’d like to help you out as much as possible! Please run a couple of speed tests so we can define what the cause is. Important:

• A speed test is always a momentary snapshot, so that’s why it’s important to perform several tests
  • If you’re using a VPN, please switch it off first. When using a VPN the signal first travels to a VPN server when you’re testing, we can’t measure the connection itself Instructions:
  • Make sure you’re close to the modem
  • Open up a browser and a mobile device and go to: https://fast.com/ The speed test will run immediately when you open the website
  • Once the speed test is finished, the text color will change from gray to black. By pressing the ‘meer informatie weergeven’ notification, the download speed shows up, as well as the upload speed and other information
  • Take a screenshot of the speed test
  • Wait for at least five minutes and run the test again, at the same distance from the modem. You can do this by refreshing the browser. Take a screenshot of the speed test
  • Wait at least five more minutes and then move to a spot in your home where you experience issues with the wifi. Refresh the browser to run a new speed test and take a screenshot of this one as well 

Thanks in advance!

Hi @MichalKob, I understand that the wifi isn’t optimized yet and leaves something to be desired. I’d like to help you out as much as possible! Please run a couple of speed tests so we can define what the cause is. Important:

• A speed test is always a momentary snapshot, so that’s why it’s important to perform several tests
  • If you’re using a VPN, please switch it off first. When using a VPN the signal first travels to a VPN server when you’re testing, we can’t measure the connection itself Instructions:
  • Make sure you’re close to the modem
  • Open up a browser and a mobile device and go to: https://fast.com/ The speed test will run immediately when you open the website
  • Once the speed test is finished, the text color will change from gray to black. By pressing the ‘meer informatie weergeven’ notification, the download speed shows up, as well as the upload speed and other information
  • Take a screenshot of the speed test
  • Wait for at least five minutes and run the test again, at the same distance from the modem. You can do this by refreshing the browser. Take a screenshot of the speed test
  • Wait at least five more minutes and then move to a spot in your home where you experience issues with the wifi. Refresh the browser to run a new speed test and take a screenshot of this one as well 

Thanks in advance!

I have done the speed test on both Apple device (iPhone) and laptop (not apple device). I carried 3 tests near router for each device, and two further away.

Results (near router):

Laptop: 1st test- download 380Mbps/ upload 320Mbps/ latency unloaded 7ms/ loaded 67ms, 2nd test- download 340Mbps/ upload 330Mbps/ latency unloaded 7ms/ loaded 67ms, 3rd test- download 360Mbps/ upload 330Mbps/ latency unloaded 8ms/ loaded 67ms

iPhone: 1st test- download 860Mbps/ upload 720Mbps/ latency unloaded 8ms/ loaded 33ms, 2nd test- download 870Mbps/ upload 720Mbps/ latency unloaded 6ms/ loaded 24ms, 3rd test- download 990Mbps/ upload 700Mbps/ latency unloaded 9ms/ loaded 30ms

Results (away from router):

Laptop: 1st test- download 130Mbps/ upload 150Mbps/ latency unloaded 8ms/ loaded 150ms, 2nd test- download 160Mbps/ upload 120Mbps/ latency unloaded 8ms/ loaded 99ms

iPhone: 1st test- download 31Mbps/ upload 25Mbps/ latency unloaded 7ms/ loaded 593ms, 2nd test- download 12Mbps/ upload 19Mbps/ latency unloaded 10ms/ loaded 341ms, 

Reputatie 7
Badge +4

Hi @MichalKob, thanks for sending the results of the speedtests! With these results the main problem seems to be the range of the Wifi network, and more specifically the range of the 5 Ghz network. There is one easy and adequate solution to solve this, namely to get an additional Wifi-point. You can read all about our Wifi-points on our website: Wifi-Plus. You can also order a Wifi-point via your My T-Mobile Thuis Account: order Wifipunt. 

Don’t worry! You can try it out all for free during the first month. If it is not as helpful as you might expect, you can send it back free of charge. If you love your newly boosted Wifi, you can definitely keep it.

Personally I’m sure that you’ll really like the extra range and speed of an additional Wifi-point! 😃

Hi @MichalKob, thanks for sending the results of the speedtests! With these results the main problem seems to be the range of the Wifi network, and more specifically the range of the 5 Ghz network. There is one easy and adequate solution to solve this, namely to get an additional Wifi-point. You can read all about our Wifi-points on our website: Wifi-Plus. You can also order a Wifi-point via your My T-Mobile Thuis Account: order Wifipunt. 

Don’t worry! You can try it out all for free during the first month. If it is not as helpful as you might expect, you can send it back free of charge. If you love your newly boosted Wifi, you can definitely keep it.

Personally I’m sure that you’ll really like the extra range and speed of an additional Wifi-point! 😃

But does it explain why the problem only occurs with apple devices? As the speed in the place further away from the router does not affect the usability of the internet but only the speed of the internet.

The problem lies with the inability to connect or the regular disconnecting of apple devices which are in the range of the router.

Reputatie 7
Badge +5

Hi @MichalKob, I can understand your question! When other devices are working properly on wifi, I do want you to check the Apple devices. You can try Wifi Plus, but please also focus on your Apple devices for a second by resetting the network settings in the Settings for example. Does this do anything for the stabilty? With Apple devices, usually the fix lies in these settings. Thanks for testing!

Hi @MichalKob, I can understand your question! When other devices are working properly on wifi, I do want you to check the Apple devices. You can try Wifi Plus, but please also focus on your Apple devices for a second by resetting the network settings in the Settings for example. Does this do anything for the stabilty? With Apple devices, usually the fix lies in these settings. Thanks for testing!

Unfortunately resetting the network settings does not improve anything.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi @MichalKob, do you have this problem when you walk further away from the modem or sit far away from the modem for longer periods of time? Or also when you are near the modem? 

Could you also tell me where you have the modem located?

• Is the modem not prevented by, for example: Walls, ceilings, floors and furniture affect the Wi-Fi signal. Unfortunately, the Wi-Fi signal also gets through less well in well-insulated houses and thick concrete walls.

The biggest disruptors of Wi-Fi are water and metal. Other devices such as microwave ovens, DECT phones, baby monitors or alarm sensors can also interfere with your Wi-Fi signal. Therefore, put the modem in a place as free from jammers as possible.

Hi @MichalKob, do you have this problem when you walk further away from the modem or sit far away from the modem for longer periods of time? Or also when you are near the modem? 

Could you also tell me where you have the modem located?

• Is the modem not prevented by, for example: Walls, ceilings, floors and furniture affect the Wi-Fi signal. Unfortunately, the Wi-Fi signal also gets through less well in well-insulated houses and thick concrete walls.

The biggest disruptors of Wi-Fi are water and metal. Other devices such as microwave ovens, DECT phones, baby monitors or alarm sensors can also interfere with your Wi-Fi signal. Therefore, put the modem in a place as free from jammers as possible.

Wi-fi is located in a meter- locker downstairs of the house, the problem is both near the router and far away from it.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

@MichalKob thank you for letting me know! I just changed the frequency of your network, disabled the guest network and wifi 6. Could you test if this has had any effect on the connection? I look forward to hearing back from you.

@MichalKob thank you for letting me know! I just changed the frequency of your network, disabled the guest network and wifi 6. Could you test if this has had any effect on the connection? I look forward to hearing back from you.

For now, it’s working well, if something changes I will give you an update.

Reageer