Beantwoord

replace zyxel t50 with pfsense

• 12 November 2021
  • 3 reacties
  • 253 Bekeken

Dear customer service, I’m a happy customer with a recent connection to your fiber optic network; I have a Huawei GPON ONT, and a Zyxel T50 router.

I would like to replace the T50 router, and use instead my own server, running pfSense.

I would like to keep the Zyxel as a backup, that I can quickly plug back in when I need to perform maintenance on the server.

I don’t have TV or telephone, just internet; can you please share the instructions (and connection parameters/protocols) to connect the pfSense to the ONT?

As an alternative plan, it might be possible to connect the server directly with the fiber optic, without the need for the ONT: the server has a SFP+ port. Can you please confirm this is possible, and the instructions to set this up? Which cable and transceiver would I need?

In both cases, can you please confirm I would be able to plug back your equipment as a back-up solution? :)

Thank you so much for your great support, looking forward to enjoy your services for years forward!

icon

Beste antwoord door Waqqas 12 November 2021, 11:07

Bekijk origineel

This topic has been closed for comments

3 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @Curtius28 

Does this help?

And without the ONT your connection will not work so Fiber direct in your router is not an option.

Hello @Curtius28 

Does this help?

And without the ONT your connection will not work so Fiber direct in your router is not an option.

Nice, that’s easy. Is that the only thing I need to set? So that way the pfSense immediately gets the (public) IP address from the ONT? and when I plug the T50 router back again, it will work immediately?

In the pfsense, what MAC address do I assign to the WAN port? the one for the zyxel t50, or the real one from the NIC?

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @Curtius28 

Does this help?

Nice, that’s easy. Is that the only thing I need to set? So that way the pfSense immediately gets the (public) IP address from the ONT? and when I plug the T50 router back again, it will work immediately?

In the pfsense, what MAC address do I assign to the WAN port? the one for the zyxel t50, or the real one from the NIC?

I don't have a Pfsense so try it out and let us know, the Pfsense will get the Public IP and you can keep the original MAC address. When you connect the Zyxel again to the ONT it will work immediately.