Beantwoord

VPN Router Asus instead of Zyxel t-50

• 3 December 2023
  • 6 reacties
  • 122 Bekeken

Hi All, yes I know this is a well-discussed topic, however all the topics are in Dutch and while I get fluent into this I am also not very fluent with IT language so the post I read were confusing. 

I will try to explain my idea. 
I want to connect all my devices via VPN and I wanna do it via a VPN router that I would purchase, for example an ASUS one. 

Now, I have a Zyxel t-50 like many of you, and I know that it’s not possible to configure the vpn on it. 

Fine no problem, I will buy the Asus but the question I have is and I have only Internet fiber glass , no TV or anything else.

Option 1: Connect the Asus router via ethernet cable to the Zyxel is it possible? It seems to me like the easiest way to do this. Do I need to change any settings then on the Zyxel to make it work? Some people say to set it up as a bridge some people say about putting it “behind” but which router is the first? I am a bit confused. My understanding is Wall+Zyxel+Asus is that right?

Option 2: Disconnect the xyel and replace it with the ASUS, will it work right away? I remember the guidon technician did some things when he installed the router, which I have no idea, or maybe I am wrong and really once I connect the asus, it will work?

Thanks all for explaining me, please try to avoid jargon or tech language when you will reply. I need a very basic explanation of what I need to do

icon

Beste antwoord door domycobain 4 December 2023, 13:53

Bekijk origineel

6 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @domycobain 

Asus behind Zyxel is possible and it should work straight away, just make sure both routers have a different LAN IP address. Zyxel 192.168.1.1 and Asus 192.168.0.1 for example.

Disconnecting the cable from the WAN port of the Zyxel and plugging it in the WAN port of the Asus could also be an option

To get intrrnet working connect a laptop for example to the Asus and log in on the Asus interface. On the left side click on LAN and than IPTV, fill in 300 behind internet VID and save.

After restarting internet should work without the Zyxel.

Hi Waqqas, thanks for your reply, wait a second just to be clear of course my preffered option is to connect only the ASUS and do not use the Zyxel anymore. So just to summarise in steps
Step 1 discconect the Zyxel
Step 2 connect the ehternet cable from the wall, into the Wan port of the Asus
Step 3 from the laptop connect to the Asus interface via the 192.168.1.1
Step 4 from the asus interface I go to left and click on LAN , why do I need to do IPTV? I dont have tv with Odido , can you pls repeat what is 300 and what is VID? thank you

Hello @domycobain 

Asus behind Zyxel is possible and it should work straight away, just make sure both routers have a different LAN IP address. Zyxel 192.168.1.1 and Asus 192.168.0.1 for example.

Disconnecting the cable from the WAN port of the Zyxel and plugging it in the WAN port of the Asus could also be an option

To get intrrnet working connect a laptop for example to the Asus and log in on the Asus interface. On the left side click on LAN and than IPTV, fill in 300 behind internet VID and save.

After restarting internet should work without the Zyxel.

replied above thanks

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @domycobain 

These steps are also required when you only have internet.

So you go to LAN > IPTV and you should see a screen with internet VID, enter 300 here (VLAN 300 is required to get Odido internet working), click save and restart.

When you open the IPTV tab maybe you'll not directly see a screen where you can enter a internet VID, in that case choose ISP manual first 

Hi, sadly I dont see either one or the other option you were mentioning, what do I do now? I connected the asus directly to the wall instead of the zyxel, now I am in the Lan-iptv, what now?

Hello @domycobain 

These steps are also required when you only have internet.

So you go to LAN > IPTV and you should see a screen with internet VID, enter 300 here (VLAN 300 is required to get Odido internet working), click save and restart.

When you open the IPTV tab maybe you'll not directly see a screen where you can enter a internet VID, in that case choose ISP manual first 

ah no sorry I resolved, I selected Manual ISP and entered 300 into internet and indeed it works now, thank you!

Reageer