Home wifi connection drops for 5G

• 17 January 2024
  • 7 reacties
  • 51 Bekeken

Hello,

I've been using Odido (and formerly T-Mobile) for almost a year now. Since the beginning I'm having issues with 5g connection. 2.4g always works, but 5g constantly drops even when I'm close to the modem.

I've called customer service several times and we even did a speed test on the phone. When I'm connected there's no issue with speed, but the problem is connection gets lots a lot. At those times when I check available wifis from my phone, I don't see 5g but I see 2.4g. And after a couple of minutes it comes back again.

Some related info;

• I'm using splitted connections (separate names for 2.4 and 5 because of smart appliances)
  • 5g connection drops shortly when I'm even 3 meters away from the modem
  • There's no other wifi point in the house
  • My modem model is Zyxel T-54, ONT is Huawei
  • I've already tried factory reset for modem and power off for ONT, issue still continues

Tommie van Odido 3 maanden geleden

Hey @senem-fahri, welcome to our Community!
Good that you started a topic about this. I've investigated your Wi-Fi network and I don't see anything noteworthy coming up. Is there a reason you split the bands? After all, we recommend you leave bandsteering on. Then the modem will make sure you always connect to the strongest band. In fact, I can see that the 2.4 GHz is quite overloaded but that's no explanation why you can't see the 5 GHz. 

I do see that your Xiao Mi repeater fully occupies the 2.4 band. I recommend you turn on bandsteering (Mesh) and try our own Wi-Fi point. This is currently free for the first month. This does work only on a Mesh network. 

Bekijk origineel

7 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hey @senem-fahri, welcome to our Community!
Good that you started a topic about this. I've investigated your Wi-Fi network and I don't see anything noteworthy coming up. Is there a reason you split the bands? After all, we recommend you leave bandsteering on. Then the modem will make sure you always connect to the strongest band. In fact, I can see that the 2.4 GHz is quite overloaded but that's no explanation why you can't see the 5 GHz. 

I do see that your Xiao Mi repeater fully occupies the 2.4 band. I recommend you turn on bandsteering (Mesh) and try our own Wi-Fi point. This is currently free for the first month. This does work only on a Mesh network. 

Hi @Tommie van Odido, thanks for the response.
Unfortunately smart appliances (like xiaomi robot vacuums, phillips hue bulbs etc.) doesn’t connect to the network if we don’t split the connections. They can only connect when connection is 2.4g. So that’s why split has to stay. 

This connection dropping issue happens all the time, and again when even I’m 3 meters away from the modem. How can a wifi point help to this situation?

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hey @senem-fahri, can the devices also not connect with bandsteering on if you disable wifi 6 and set WPA3 to WPA2? Can you test it right next to the modem and then send me a speed test from speedtest.net? The wifi point provides greater and better coverage. Also for less congestion on the modem.

@Tommie van Odido 

I'm trying with my iphone model 15 pro, but I don't see any option to disable wifi 6. You can see wifi passwords are set to WPA2 already. As I've told before, when I'm connected there's no issue to about speed. The problem is 5g connection drops time to time, and my phone starts using mobile data.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hey @senem-fahri, I disabled wifi 6 for you, can you reboot the modem and media converter and see how the connection is? 

Hello again @Tommie van Odido. Unfortunately the problem continues. We are still experiencing connection drops. At those times when I check available wifis, I only see 2.4g version, and after waiting a bit 5g version becomes available too. This also happens when I’m close to the modem, in about 3-4 meters distance. 

Reputatie 6
Badge +2

@senem-fahri Thank you for feedback! I immediately send a technician your way, I am sure he/she will be able to resolve this for you. 

Please let me know if you there is anything else I can do for you in the meantime. I will gladly help you further!

Reageer