No wifi internet from wired access point

• 24 November 2023
  • 13 reacties
  • 78 Bekeken

I would like to use a second router (AC750 Wi-Fi Travel Router) as an access point to provide wifi in a part of the house that is not covered by the wifi of the main router (Zyxel VMG8825-T50). I can connect to the wifi of the second router, but there’s no internet. 

I tried different solutions (see below) with no success. I have contacted the customer service of the second router multiple times and I now suspect that something may be wrong in the configuration of the main router.

I connected the second router via a working (tested!) ethernet cable to a LAN port of the main router.

1. I configured the second router to use the DHCP server of the main router. The second router does not get listed in the ARP table, so probably it never gets an IP address.
  2. I manually assigned a static IP address (192.168.0.42) to the second router, which I registered with the main router (Network setting > Home Networking > Static DHCP). The static address is not in the range of addresses managed by the DHCP server (192.168.0.100 ~ 192.168.0.254) and I set the address of the main router (192.168.0.1) as gateway address for the second router.

I have rebooted both routers after changing settings and I disabled MAC filtering and Firewall on the main router. 

What do you advise?

Waqqas 5 maanden geleden

@Marco Vassena 

Maybe, delete the static IP address rule in the main router first, give the AP a factory reset and see if it works than.

Remember that 2 routers with the same default gateway will not work.

Bekijk origineel

13 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @Marco Vassena 

Is the DHCP server on the 2nd router now disabled? If the default gateway of your router/AP is also 192.168.0.1 it probably will not work.

Is the DHCP server on the 2nd router now disabled?

Yes. However, my device gets invalid IP addresses, which suggests that it is not getting an IP address from the main router.

If the default gateway of your router/AP is also 192.168.0.1 it probably will not work

The other customer service suggested to use the IP address of the main router as gateway. 
If this doesn’t work, w​​​​​​hat address should I use as gateway? 

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@Marco Vassena

192.168.1.1 for example. I wouldn't suggest you to disable the firewall on your main router.

Thank you for the quick reply @Waqqas! 

192.168.1.1 for example

I am now using these settings:

Main router

IP Address: 192.168.1.1,
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
IP Address Range: 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.100.

Second router
IP Address 192.168.1.101
Gateway 192.168.1.1.

Unfortunately, there is still no internet connection on the second router. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@Marco Vassena

Change the gateway of the 2nd router to 192.168.0.1. the gateway of the main router is 192.168.1.1 (unchanged).

> Change the gateway of the 2nd router to 192.168.0.1.

I get an error message: 192.168.0.1 is an invalid gateway address because it is not within the current subnet of the network.

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@Marco Vassena 

I mean the default IP address of the 2nd router (LAN IP address), not the IP address which is received from the main router.

These configurations are accepted by the second router:
IP Address 192.168.0.1
Gateway 192.168.0.1

However, the main router does not seem to detect the second router (in the ARP table, wired devices) and internet remains unavailable there.

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@Marco Vassena

Can you restart both routers? The WAN IP address of the 2nd router should be given by the main router and should be 192.168.1.xx

The internetcable is also plugged in the WAN port right?

I restarted both of them, still no interent. 

> The WAN IP address of the 2nd router should be given by the main router and should be 192.168.1.xx

Ideally, yes, but this does not happen (don’t know why). Hence I’ve been trying to manually configure the 2nd router (static IP address, gateway, subnet mask).

In fact, I can see many “Discover DHCP service failed!” events in the system log of the 2nd router.

The internetcable is also plugged in the WAN port right?

It is connected to the (only) WAN/LAN plug of the 2nd router and in one of the LAN plugs of the main router.

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@Marco Vassena 

Maybe, delete the static IP address rule in the main router first, give the AP a factory reset and see if it works than.

Remember that 2 routers with the same default gateway will not work.

Reageer