Help with connecting a router to the T-Mobile modem

• 9 November 2020
  • 2 reacties
  • 392 Bekeken

Reputatie 2
  • is een Master Poster
  • 36 reacties

Hi all,

My Dutch is not good yet, so I will write in English. Sorry for that.

I have T-mobile Home internet only subscription. My modem model is Huawei HG659.

The LAN cable comes from the Media converter is connected to the WAN port of the modem.

My router is connected via one of the INT ports. The other INT port is used by a switch which connects to Philips Hue bridge and tado Bridge. (The modem is in the meter cupboard where is just outside my apartment and I wanted to hide hubs/bridges there)

The router is in the living room. It is connected to the internet via the ethernet port (INT) as I mentioned above.

On the router I disabled DHCP and enabled bridge mode.

Is this setup correct?

I have been facing issues on video calls on the router’s Wi-Fi, especially on FaceTime. I don’t see any frozen video but the person I called says that after a random while (10-20 min) the video freezes. Audio is still fine. I also see poor connection message. We both do speed test when it occurs and I get around 350 Mbps (on 5Ghz) and they get 20 Mbps.

I also have issues with my HomeKit setup. I was on Hue system, but it works even the internet is gone. I wanted to add some more sensors, so bought Aqara Hub and some sensors and added automation. I have Apple Tv and iPad at home as HomeKit hub. The Apple Tv is connected to the internet wired from the cable comes from the router. I tried to reset the Aqara Hub, enabled HomeKit hubs and re-enable them etc. Nothing solved it. I must say that I am an always up-to-date guy, so all firmware and software are up-to-date. Recently I suspected that it may happen because the Apple Tv is connected to the cable that comes from the router. I connected it wirelessly to the modem. I didn’t have any not-working automation issues so far, but I have to test more.

Do these errors sound like there is a conflict or something with the setup? What would you suggest? In the meantime, I contacted the technical service of AmpliFi, and they are trying to help.

I can remove the router from my setup and move the modem to the living room if I can connect it to the media converter with a regular network cable (instead of the yellow one) if it helps. I don’t know if the WiFi signal of the modem will be enough in kid's room. It seems like I get faster results with the router’s wifi. Download is around 400 Mbps vs 300 Mbps and upload is 250 Mbps vs 100 Mbps on 5Ghz band.

icon

Beste antwoord door Waqqas 9 November 2020, 21:01

Bekijk origineel

2 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @kkupe 

I think it's more important that your connection is stable and if it is stable then you can try connecting devices one by one to see when it goes wrong.

You can use a normal internet cable from the mediaconverter to your modem. So check with the huawei first I guess.

Reputatie 2

Testing everything without the router now. Everything is connected to the modem. I will share the results.

Reageer