Internet and wifi failing on the Zyxtel router

• 13 September 2023
  • 14 reacties
  • 136 Bekeken

A bit of context:

• I’ve installed my home wifi 3 weeks ago
  • I have a fiber connection to the Huawei box + Zyxtel router

The problem:

• Many times during the day (random hours) wifi fails - internet access fails, and few minutes after none of my devices can connect to the wifi even without the internet
  • Every led is on green, aside from the internet led on the Zyxtel - sometimes it’s blinking green, sometimes is red (no specific rule)
  • When I restart the router it helps for few hours, but Zyxtel fails eventually
  • I’ve already talked 4-5 times with the support via the phone / chat - they claim that if after restarting the device there is an internet connection, they can’t help me (even when I say that the connection is failing eventually)

Steps I’ve already tried to mitigate:

• Do a full troubleshooting with T-Mobile - without any results
  • Did a few full resets of Huawei and Zyxtel
  • Restored Zyxtel to factory settings
  • Asked for a new router - I was denied

Could you please help me? I’m effectively paying for WiFi that it’s not working 70% of the time, prevents me from working from home, and there is noone who can helpe me with that. It is really frustrating

Thank you

Tommie van Odido 7 maanden geleden

Hey @kwbaranski, we have just done a line measurement and everything looks good. Can you perform a hard factory reset on the modem? This is how you do it: 

• Factory Reset
  1. Using a toothpick or paperclip, press the factory reset (above the power button on the left side of the back). Hold it down until all the lights except the power light go out.
  2. Release the factory reset after ten seconds. All modem settings are now restored to factory values.
  3. Check if the modem is connected again, this may take three minutes. The sticker on the modem shows the username and password you can use to log into the modem.

After that, could you give the modem and ONT/Media Converter a power flip? This is how you do it: 
  • Powerflip
  1. Unplug the Media Converter/ONT from the power outlet.
  2. Wait for at least 10 seconds
  3. First reconnect your Media converter/ONT and let it boot up for 30 seconds. Only then reconnect the modem to the power.
  4. Plug the modem back in and let everything boot up completely
  5. Check if the connection is stable.

Are you back online now?

Bekijk origineel

14 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @kwbaranski 

When there is no internet are the PON and LOS lights on the Huawei on or blinking?

You can also look to replace the cable between the Huawei and router, maybe it makes a difference.

Hey @Waqqas 

when there is no internet, the lights you mentioned on Huawei are not blinking. I’ve already checked with another cable - still nothing.

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@kwbaranski 

I guess either the Huawei or router is not functioning well..

Yes, I agree on that. Any suggestions how to tackle that? TMobile refuses to send technician / a new unit, as again “it’s working when you reset it, so there is no problem, just restart it each time it goes off”. I’m out of ideas how to reach out to them

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@kwbaranski 

Just wait for a moderator to reppy and gopefully they can send a technician with the right instructions.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hey @kwbaranski, we have just done a line measurement and everything looks good. Can you perform a hard factory reset on the modem? This is how you do it: 

• Factory Reset
  1. Using a toothpick or paperclip, press the factory reset (above the power button on the left side of the back). Hold it down until all the lights except the power light go out.
  2. Release the factory reset after ten seconds. All modem settings are now restored to factory values.
  3. Check if the modem is connected again, this may take three minutes. The sticker on the modem shows the username and password you can use to log into the modem.

After that, could you give the modem and ONT/Media Converter a power flip? This is how you do it: 
  • Powerflip
  3. First reconnect your Media converter/ONT and let it boot up for 30 seconds. Only then reconnect the modem to the power.

Are you back online now?

Hi Tommie,

thank you for your help. I did that already, the problem popped out again after few hours of use, even though the full factory reset was done.

Thank you

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hey @kwbaranski, thanks for your swift response. When I do an other line measurement I can still see that the ONT/Media Converter has not yet been rebooted. Could you still powerflip the ONT? It is the device between the fiber and the Zyxel. Thanks! 

• Powerflip

Hey Tommie, 

as the internet was down again on the morning, I’ve rebooted both Huawei and Zyxel (approx around 8 am). I did that again now just in case.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

@kwbaranski and you still are not connected to internet? Could you check and try another cable between the Huawei and the Zyxel? You should be online. What lights are on on the Zyxel?

Hi Tommie, 

I’ve checked once again with the different cable - nothing changes. 

However after another series of resets, I’ve noticed that on the Huawei (fiber box) LAN started to blink green, where there is no connection with the wifi, just before that the icon of Internet on Zyxel router starts blinking green and eventually goes red. 

Could you please help me with that? I’m seriously not able to work from home for 2 week and I have no more money to pay for additional mobile data packages (TMobile also failed to deliver me my sim plan). 

Thank you

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hey @kwbaranski, thanks for your quick response. I have decided to send a technician for you. You will soon receive a message to schedule an appointment. I have also sent you a voucher code immediately. This will give you unlimited access to our 4g network! 

Hi Tommie, thank you for that. Unfortunately despite technician visit, this issue still persists - I’m loosing internet connection in random moments. The technician told me that if that happen again, it’s the faulty router. Could you please help me with that?

Thank you! 

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi @kwbaranski, thank you for your feedback. I see that you have currently notified a move. I would very much love to send you a new modem but unfortunately this does not allow me to send you a new modem. This is because this is blocked in my system due to the move. 

Reageer