Beantwoord

Not able to access certain IP-address

• 11 August 2020
  • 7 reacties
  • 268 Bekeken

My smart car charger requires internet connection and tries to perform DNS request to fixed IP address - 10.1.186.74.

When I do the same from my laptop, I get following results:

ping 10.1.186.74

PING 10.1.186.74 (10.1.186.74): 56 data bytes

76 bytes from 1-22-201-31.ftth.glasoperator.nl (31.201.22.1): Communication prohibited by filter

nslookup -debug chargenetwork.thenewmotion.com 10.1.186.74 returns me this:
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

However, if I use VPN, I’m able to perform nslookup and get results.

icon

Beste antwoord door Pieter_B 11 August 2020, 17:04

Bekijk origineel

7 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +5

The 10.x.x.x is an IP address in a private address range. For that reason all traffic is blocked.

Connecting to thenewmotion.com will be handled by DNS servers and route to the correct IP-address

I don't believe that the charger needs a FIXED ip address like x.x.x.x.

Well, I connected charger via ethernet cable to my laptop which uses wifi and bridged connections.

Then I sniffed all the traffic with Wireshark and saw that charger performs DNS request to 10.1.186.74

Reputatie 7
Badge +5

So you are trying to fiddle in the network connection of your smart charger.

Reason? To be honest I don’t care.

If the connection does not work go to the supplier of the equipment.

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

Hello @Nikita_Iv 

I more or less have the same question as @yalerta, what is the reason of it. Is there some kind of UI that you can go to via this port, that you can monitor the charger?

10.x.x.x is a restricted private network number, that is mostly used for LAN areas within companies or homes. My guess is, that this is some kind of ‘maintenance interface’ for testing or readout during production.

The reason for all this hustle is simple - charger checks rfid cards, which are setup via website. So everything is configured there, but every time I scan my card, it shows me error. So I decided to sniff what does charger to figure out if it’s my network configuration issue. Since this charger is not brand new (but it was never installed before, so it was just in the box for years), supplier has simple answer - pay 200 euros for calling service guy. I did assume that it may be system clock issue which makes device not accepting SSL certificates, but the only network activity from charger is sending DNS request. Probably firmware with this fixed DNS mechanism is quite old and it was fixed in next versions, but there is no way to manually update it.

Reputatie 7
Badge +4

@Nikita_Iv can you change the network settings to use dhcp ? or set a fixxed ip ?

[quote]Then I sniffed all the traffic with Wireshark and saw that charger performs DNS request to 10.1.186.74[/quote]
mabe laptop ip ? or set it as laptop ip

Reputatie 7
Badge +5

In my opinion, the smart charger looks like a development unit where someone has made some money out of it.

In a dutch phrase we say “Goedkoop is Duurkoop” wich translates to something like “Bying Cheap You Pay The Price”

Reageer