Beantwoord

New Internet Speed (Fiber from 1 to 8 Gbps) - Can I install the new equipment by myself?

• 13 December 2023
  • 27 reacties
  • 272 Bekeken

Reputatie 1

Hi! I'd like to know if I can install and use the new equipment with the new speed or if I really need to wait for the appointment, as the box has a QR Tag about “how to install” instructions, but I don't want to waste my time installing anything if I'll have to wait for a technician to come Sunday to activate the new modem. 🤔

icon

Beste antwoord door Waqqas 13 December 2023, 23:21

Bekijk origineel

27 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @fdamaral 

It is better to wait for the technician, he will install everything and activate the XGSPON ONT if needed.

The mechanic could also have to visit the PoP for patching.

Reputatie 1

Hello @fdamaral 

It is better to wait for the technician, he will install everything and activate the XGSPON ONT if needed.

The mechanic could also have to visit the PoP for patching.

Thanks! Just double checking, I wasn't sent another fiber modem. Just the router and the extender. There's also another fiber cable in the packaging.

Is it correct or did they forget to add a new fiber modem?

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@fdamaral 

If you have a Huawei XGSPON ONT now for your 1 Gbps connection than you'll not need a new one. If you don't have a Huawei XGSPON ONT currently and also not in the package than Odido has to send the Huawei XGSPON ONT.

To some customers the Huawei XGSPON ONT was sent seperately after upgrading to 2 or 8 Gbps.

Reputatie 1

I have a Huawei already and I did not receive a new modem, just a new router and a new extender. Does it mean I can install the router by myself and start using without the technician coming to activate?

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@fdamaral 

Which one do you have now? On the left side is XGSPON and on the right side is GPON. If you have the XGSPON ONT it should be simple once the upgrade is completed, connect the new router and restart the ONT.

Reputatie 1

The one with the small logo. I was just messaged on Twitter that it seems you're sending a new ONT. Glad I talked with you here and there or your technician might arrive here while I'd not have a very important piece of equipment available.

Reputatie 1

I need a cable that's at least 6 meters long between the router and the ONT and between the router and my Desktop PC.

Is it possible to ask for two Category 6 Cables to be sent to me at no cost (Ziggo gave me 10 meter cables but I am afraid they're Cat 5E) or do I have to purchase them?

I can't have the router near the computer and the ONT because the signal gets terrible across the house.

Thanks!

Reputatie 1

2 cables because the router sits away from both PC and ONT, the PC is near the ONT but the router doesn't work well there, that's why 1 cable wouldn't be enough. 😬

Thanks either way.

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@fdamaral

I'm also a Odido customer :)

Is the 8 Gbps upgrade "afgerond" in your Odido account, you could try to connect the new router and than restart the ONT, maybe it'll work.

If you meant that you have the one on the left side.

Reputatie 1

@fdamaral

I'm also a Odido customer :)

Is the 8 Gbps upgrade "afgerond" in your Odido account, you could try to connect the new router and than restart the ONT, maybe it'll work.

Thanks! I didn't know. I thought you worked with them. I didn't connect afraid it might not work. I will do that later tonight, maybe tomorrow. I didn't get the 10 Gbps ethernet card yet but I am excited about testing things around.

Reputatie 6
Badge +2

@fdamaral The T-75 router comes with one Cat6 cable. However, I don’t have the possibility (yet) of sending a longer Cat6 cable, because we don’t have those. I advise you to buy these yourself. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +14

Cat 6 cables are easy to order yourself in any lenght you need.

Reputatie 1

Cat 6 cables are easy to order yourself in any lenght you need.

Thanks! Yes, you're right. I felt like asking because Ziggo used to give that kind of stuff for free. I think even Action sells those cheaply but I'd not want to buy something the technician might be bringing here anyways etc.

Reputatie 1

@fdamaral The T-75 router comes with one Cat6 cable. However, I don’t have the possibility (yet) of sending a longer Cat6 cable, because we don’t have those. I advise you to buy these yourself. 

No worries. Thanks for the information! I will test the cables I have and if necessary I'll go to Action or order something on line. Have a nice weekend!

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@fdamaral Action doesn't have CAT6 cables so online is the best option, you can also choose the length 🙂

Reputatie 1

@fdamaral Action doesn't have CAT6 cables so online is the best option, you can also choose the length 🙂

https://www.action.com/nl-nl/p/3007361/cablemax-netwerkkabel/

They do.

Reputatie 1

https://www.action.com/nl-nl/p/3007361/cablemax-netwerkkabel/

They do.

https://www.action.com/nl-nl/p/3200326/sologic-netwerkkabel-cat-8/

Cat 8 too, if you only need 2 meters.

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@fdamaral 

It's been a while since I went to the Action, than they only had CAT5E but seeing your link they are very cheap..

Reputatie 1

@fdamaral

It's been a while since I went to the Action, than they only had CAT5E but seeing your link they are very cheap..

Yes!

Reputatie 6
Badge +2

It is good to always ask @fdamaral! 😀 Nice that you found a good option at Action. @Waqqas Thanks for the tips! Run to Action fast haha 

Reputatie 1

Technician came, Sunday evening. Odido does not give him powers to activate the modem right away, ha ha ha.

Something that should be an easy authorization done remotely and automatically when the customer just plugs the new device not only requires you to send a technician but your own technician does not have enough administrative powers to enable the device to be connected to your network without talking to a manager or a specialized department.

Your employees are very nice but Odido runs its business in a very inefficient manner. You don't need to waste technician hours just for an activation and you don't need multiple departments for that either. And, on top of that, a massive company like Odido does not have anybody working on your back end while the technician is at a customer's house/business on a scheduled time.

It's like you create a lot of procedures just to keep your employees busy. Sorry, but as a customer that's how it feels.

Now there's a chance the new device will be authorized tomorrow but nothing guarantee I won't have to wait another 10 days for another appointment.

I'd like to know who wins with that? Not the customer, not the business.

I am perfectly fine, of course, since at least the old device still works, but I can't wrap my head about how inefficiently things are done there.  😁

Reputatie 1

Another day passed, nobody contacted me. No information, no instructions, no updates. Tried messaging privately via Twitter, nobody there either. 🤔

I am glad the old devices still work but the concern is growing as the new ones should have been activated and there's a limit on when I am allowed to return the older ones.

I hope I am given enough time after everything new is operational to return the old devices as I can't use the internet without them right now.

And I also assume I will only be charged starting on the day the service was activated and working here.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi @fdamaral, I immediately went to check for you and I see that we have decided to send you a new ONT. The technician indicated that there was no light on line, so there is no signal coming in. Fortunately, the current connection is still working and you are not without internet. Hopefully it will be converted for you soon! 

Reputatie 1

Hi @fdamaral, I immediately went to check for you and I see that we have decided to send you a new ONT. The technician indicated that there was no light on line, so there is no signal coming in. Fortunately, the current connection is still working and you are not without internet. Hopefully it will be converted for you soon! 

I was told it would not go on line because he needed to talk to someone in your central and your central was closed because it was a Sunday, but that the device would be activated by an employee on your end.

Why is the information divergent? Also, why do you send a technician without keeping enough employees on your back end to activate services?

I don't think there's any problem with the fiber or the device, you just need to allow it to connect. I notice it gets signal when the fiber is connected to it, but it won't capture an IP address because you didn't give it permission.

I would rather have you authorize the device to connect so I can test it on my end without a new appointment.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hey @fdamaral, the technician found that there was no signal on the line and then re-registered the ONT for you. Guidion's technician should activate the line for you. At the moment, we are really waiting for the new ONT and the appointment with Guidion. 

Reageer