Beantwoord

Double charged phone subscription - ended up with 2 phone numbers?

• 1 May 2024
  • 7 reacties
  • 42 Bekeken

Here’s a summary of my situation. Odido has been charging me another new phone subscription while I indicated in my phone order that I want to retain my old phone number. I tried to call the customer service but she said there’s nothing she could do to help. The said new contract was sent to my Promotion mailbox. All documents were in Dutch and the store staff at that time did not tell me that there will be a new phone subscription with the new phone? I went to the same store and they also refuse to help, I feel unfair to pay for what I did not give consent and feel severely mistreat.​​​​​​

Here is the timeline of event that happened:

1. Tele2 Subscription

Type: Mobile Sim-only Subscription

Number: XXX

Current cost: 17,50EUR/month for 10GB

On April 20 2022, I started my contract with then-Tele2 and keep my original phone number as XXX.

The contract term was 2 years, which is destined to expire on April 19 2024.

Recently, I have extended my contract to another 2-year term, it is said to start from April 20 2024 and end by April 19, 2026.

The contract is in Dutch.

1. T-Mobile Subscription

Type: Tablet Unlimited GB

Number: XXX

Current cost: 26,43EUR/month for Unlimited data subscription, it was 25,00EUR/month to begin with

On July 27 2023, I signed up for another contract with then-T-Mobile for a data subscription, dedicated for my 5G wifi router.

This is a 2-year term contract, which started from July 27 2023 to July 26 2025.

The contract is in Dutch.

1. Phone Subscription

Type: iPhone 15 purchase

Date of order: September 15, 2024

Date of pick-up: September 22, 2024

I signed up for the phone subscription with my current phone number XXX, this was communicated clearly with the store staff and indicated in the online order.

The store staff asked if I wanted to keep my number, I said yes. He then later gave me a sim card with a note to wait for the future notice from Odido, since Tele2 and T-Mobile were in the process of merging and rebranding, I was told to use the Odido sim-card when the transition was done. There was no indication that I will have a new phone number.

In the forwarded email, you can find the confirmation from Odido that I have requested a number retention (date of Odido email - September 15, 2023).

All the contract and document are in Dutch.

1. Overcharge Period

From the date I got the new phone, there was no transaction regarding the monthly cost of the device. Until there were some strange subscriptions starting from March 1 2024.

Beside the regular invoice for mobile and tablet data subscription, Odido has been charging me a new package with the new mobile number XXX

On March 1 2024, 109,21EUR was deducted from my account without neither any invoice sending to email nor transaction recorded in Odido app

On April 2 2024, 55,50EUR was deducted without neither any invoice sending to email nor transaction recorded in Odido app

On April 30 2024, another 55,50EUR was deducted without neither any invoice sending to email nor transaction recorded in Odido app

[Don't post phone numbers and other personal information in your topic. A topic is public for everyone to see]

icon

Beste antwoord door Marciano van Odido 3 May 2024, 12:34

Bekijk origineel

7 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi Immy, welcome to our Community! Nice to see that you have a mobile and tablet subscription with us. Thank you for the clear timeline of the events that happened. I needed a minute to sort out everything, but it's all clear to me now and I'm happy to clarify everything for you.

On September 15, you ordered a new subscription and requested number porting. However, your subscription was still under contract. So, number porting got rejected. You can only request number porting 120 days in advance before your subscription ends.

On September 22 we sent an SMS about the rejection of number porting with extra information about the 120 days, and that you should request number porting again at a later date. It also says, that if you don’t do this, the new subscription would start with this new temporary phone number. This SMS went to the new number ***159. But I don’t think you received it, if you didn’t use this sim card.

On December 19 (4 months before April 19) you should’ve requested the new number porting. But because this didn’t happen, the new subscription started as a new subscription, 1 month later on January 20.

For this new subscription with your new phone. You received these invoices:

• The invoice from March 1 of 109,21 is for the months of January and February
  • The invoice from April 2 of 55,50 is for the period of March-April
  • The invoice from April 30 of 55,50 is for the period of April-May

Please note that your old/current subscription with phone number ***712 was old-Tele2. This means you always paid 1 month afterwards. Your new Odido subscription is always paid in advance. So, I understand the confusion about this.

On March 25 you also renewed your current subscription ***712 via our website. This renewal started right after your old subscription ended on April 20. This is why you have 2 subscriptions now.

Please check the following things to cancel 1 of your subscriptions, but please note that you will have to pay a cancellation fee. This means 50% of the total amount that you should’ve paid for the remaining time of your subscription.

The best option in my opinion would be to cancel your current/old subscription with number ***712, and request number porting to keep this number (if you still want it) for your new Hello subscription with your new phone. This is also the cheapest and has the lowest cancellation fee. But, it also depends on which subscription you would like to keep, because there is a difference between them. Subscription number 1 has a data bundle of 10 GB. Subscription number 2 has Unlimited.

I wish I could’ve given you a better solution, but I hope this clarifies everything. Please take your time to check everything, and if you cancel one of the subscriptions, I’m more than happy to see what I can do to credit a bit to compensate for the costs! 😊

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm here for you!

Hi Immy, welcome to our Community! Nice to see that you have a mobile and tablet subscription with us. Thank you for the clear timeline of the events that happened. I needed a minute to sort out everything, but it's all clear to me now and I'm happy to clarify everything for you.

On September 15, you ordered a new subscription and requested number porting. However, your subscription was still under contract. So, number porting got rejected. You can only request number porting 120 days in advance before your subscription ends.

On September 22 we sent an SMS about the rejection of number porting with extra information about the 120 days, and that you should request number porting again at a later date. It also says, that if you don’t do this, the new subscription would start with this new temporary phone number. This SMS went to the new number ***159. But I don’t think you received it, if you didn’t use this sim card.

On December 19 (4 months before April 19) you should’ve requested the new number porting. But because this didn’t happen, the new subscription started as a new subscription, 1 month later on January 20.

For this new subscription with your new phone. You received these invoices:

• The invoice from March 1 of 109,21 is for the months of January and February
  • The invoice from April 2 of 55,50 is for the period of March-April
  • The invoice from April 30 of 55,50 is for the period of April-May

Please note that your old/current subscription with phone number ***712 was old-Tele2. This means you always paid 1 month afterwards. Your new Odido subscription is always paid in advance. So, I understand the confusion about this.

On March 25 you also renewed your current subscription ***712 via our website. This renewal started right after your old subscription ended on April 20. This is why you have 2 subscriptions now.

Please check the following things to cancel 1 of your subscriptions, but please note that you will have to pay a cancellation fee. This means 50% of the total amount that you should’ve paid for the remaining time of your subscription.

The best option in my opinion would be to cancel your current/old subscription with number ***712, and request number porting to keep this number (if you still want it) for your new Hello subscription with your new phone. This is also the cheapest and has the lowest cancellation fee. But, it also depends on which subscription you would like to keep, because there is a difference between them. Subscription number 1 has a data bundle of 10 GB. Subscription number 2 has Unlimited.

I wish I could’ve given you a better solution, but I hope this clarifies everything. Please take your time to check everything, and if you cancel one of the subscriptions, I’m more than happy to see what I can do to credit a bit to compensate for the costs! 😊

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm here for you!

Hi Marciano,

I have responded to this right after your answer, but still I didn’t see my response get through Odido approval, so I am not sure whether my matter got taken care off.

I am quite sure there was a language barrier with the store staff, since I don’t speak Dutch. But I am 100% sure the new phone number registration was NOT explained to me when I was at the store, hence I had no idea I will be double charged. I feel unfair since you have said that the cancelation text was sent to the never-activated phone number that I didn’t know about its existence.

To make sure there is a way-forward for this situation, I really need your help. I do hope to keep the number that ends with 712, since it attaches with my registration in The Netherlands. Please help advise me the most reasonable and economical solution for this case, since I am not in a comfortable financial situation.

Thank you for your support and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi Myha, sorry for the late response. I see now that your previous reply was automatically marked as spam. I don't know why this was the case. I can understand if my colleagues didn't mention this. Because they probably assumed that number porting would be accepted (if the request would be done in the correct time period). So, I agree that you didn't know about the number porting rejection, because you didn't receive the SMS. However, the new subscription started in January, while you renewed your current subscription on March 25th, while your other subscription was already running for a few months. The new subscription could've been detected earlier after the first invoice. This is the part where it's your own responsibility and the reason I can't cancel the subscription free of charge. That being said, I've been 'fighting’ for you to compensate as much as I can, and I'm happy to say that I'm allowed to compensate 50% of the cancelation fee. The total cancelation fee is € 167,34.  So, I can credit an amount of € 83,67. The easiest way is to (1) cancel your subscription with number porting. That way you keep your new subscription with Unlimited and your new phone, with your current phone number **12. And (2) to give you the credit on your new subscription. That way, the amount of € 83,67 will be settled with your coming invoice(s), so you won't have to look at those for a bit. 

Another option is to pay the full cancelation fee of € 167,34. And I can request a refund of € 83,67 that you will receive 2 weeks later.

Do you have the new sim card for your new subscription? If yes, we can cancel your subscription very soon and start number porting (probably in a day or 2). 

Please let me know what you prefer and if you have the new sim card. If yes, I can get to work for you! 😊

Hi Marciano,

Thank you for your response and the effort you put in to help me out. The reason why I figured it out so late is because I was assuming that I was paying FOR THE PHONE, I got it in September and I didn’t pay anything for it for a few months so the newly occurred deduction must be for it. 

To be honest I am not really sure of the difference between the 3 options. Being credit now or later doesn’t really matter to me as long as:

• The damage is minimal
  • I can keep my 712 number and cancel the number I never use

Which should be the ONE solution you would recommend me the best? I trust you on this.

I am also not sure about the “new sim card” for “new subscription”, do I need to change sim card as well? Please bear with me on this. I learned the lesson to not assume anymore until everything is crystal clear. 

Look forward to hear from you again.

Many thanks,

Myha

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi Myha, you're very welcome, and I completely understand your point of view! Thank you for your trusting in me. I would recommend the following:

• You will keep the new subscription you've ordered: the Hello Unlimited with phone number **59. This is the easiest way for me to fix everything for you, because your new phone (and 'Toestelkrediet’) is linked to this subscription.
  • I cancel your current subscription (the renewal) and request number porting, so that you keep the new subscription (above) with your current phone number **712.
  • Within a month after cancelation, you will receive the last invoice for the current subscription with the cancellation fee of € 167,34. This invoice will be deducted from your account automatically as per usual.
  • Once the current subscription has been disconnected, I will fill in a credit of € 100 (earlier I said € 83,67, but I'm going to round it up in your advantage especially for you!) on your new subscription. This amount will be settled on your next invoices. This means that you will pay € 0 or a very small amount in the next few months.

Important: to cancel your subscription and request number porting, I need to know for sure if you have the new sim card (with the phone number **59 on it). Because your current sim will be deactive when we port your number. 

No worries, it's only good to have the situation crystal clear. For me as well. I hope my explanation in steps clarify everything! Please let me know if you have the new sim card and if you have any other questions! 😄

Hi Marciano,

Thanks for the explanation, the knowledge and the support, it’s all clear to me now. I have checked and finally can confirm with you that I DO HAVE the sim card ending with ***59. 

Please proceed with your suggested option and please let me know if I need to do anything else. 

Cheers,

Myha

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi Myha, you're very welcome! And great to hear that you have the new sim card. I will pick this up tomorrow together with my colleague, so we're 100% sure everything will be alright. For now I wish you a great evening and I will talk to you tomorrow! 😄

Reageer