Beantwoord

Can I replace optical terminal HN8010Ts (XGS-PON) with a GPON Device?

• 27 August 2023
  • 4 reacties
  • 165 Bekeken

• heeft eerste post geplaatst
  • 2 reacties

Hello everyone,

I recently became a T-mobile Thuis Internet customer and T-Mobile sent me a package with Huawei ONT device, model HN8010Ts which features XGS-PON technology. Unfortunately T-Mobile does not have an alternative option other than this.

I understand that I can replace my ONT device with my own device (UFiber LOCO), however, after several trials of registering my ONT’s serial number by customer service I still can not get Internet connection with it. I also tried cloning HN8010T’s SN, MAC address to mine, but again that did not succeed.

So I am thinking if I miss something here, do I need to pass authentication by PLOAM password? If so, where can I find them?

Secondly, I then notice my device features GPON but not the one mentioned above XGS-PON, I have little knowledge to the terms but I understand these two have different downstream/upstream speeds. I wonder if this is the reason why I cannot replace HN8010Ts my own one.

If this is true, then what kind of device (Brand & Model) do you use to replace the device from Huawei?

icon

Beste antwoord door eric 27 August 2023, 22:54

Bekijk origineel

4 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @Cavilla 

You cannot use a GPON device on a XGSPON connection.

Both GPON and XGSPON operate on different wavelengths.

Reputatie 7
Badge +14

Hi @Cavilla ,

If you are not an advanced user or expert on network equipement,  the advice is not to change the working installation which t-mobile will deliver and support!

When you connect your own material for the ONT and router,  you should call that vendor for advice and support.  T-mobile customer care can not help you with that. In case of problems,  you have to reconnect the original hardware so they can troubleshoot.

I do not know why that is the best answer. I know I am not an IT expert, but I still want to replace the device because I am not comfortable with that brand.  Yes it is at my own risk of replacing it and I did face certain difficulty, that is why I am here asking for advice and sharing this experience with someone else. 

I did not ask T-mobile to fix the issue for me, customer service had helped registering SN. And thanks @Waqqas for letting me know I was using a device with different spec, I will search for a new alternative.

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@Cavilla 

You'll need an XGSPON ONT/SFP where you can clone the serial number of the ONT delivered by the provider.

Reageer