Beantwoord

8Gbps but still getting lag spikes in games...

• 6 April 2024
  • 8 reacties
  • 91 Bekeken

• heeft eerste post geplaatst
  • 5 reacties

Hi

I upgraded to the 8 Gbps line and download & upload is working just fine. But noticed in all of my online gaming I intermittently get a lag spike for a few seconds. 

Anyone else experiencing this with Odido? I've done restarted all the equipment and is still happens... 

icon

Beste antwoord door Waqqas 7 April 2024, 10:17

Bekijk origineel

8 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @BoetaF 

Do you encounter this issue especially with gaming and do you mean online gaming by that?

When you are not gaming online, do you also have rhe issue with lag spikes?

Is your gaming console directly connected to the router with a cable or do you also use a switch? Of yes than maybe you can test without a switch.

And is the speed good when you perform a speedtest using the Ookla speedtest app?

Reputatie 7
Badge +3

What Causes Lag in Games

Many times i read topics like this, about the game experience is less due to lagging and high pings.

First thing you have to understand, there is no direct connection from your router to the game server.

Imagine a game server is located in Japan, there is no line direct from your PC to Japan. Instead, you travel over 1000 of routers / switches to get to Japan. And that route is also not fixed, traffic is always trying to get ‘the best’ route to the endpoint.

How the internet works, but most important, all the translations within it. Every translation takes a very small amount of time, but could increase if there is a lot of traffic on ‘a knot’ in the routing.

So in many times, the ISP is relying on the backbone of the complete internet. But also understand that the ISP most of the times can not guarantee that from your router to the server in Japan, your lagging or ping times are reduced to almost zero … even with a bandwidth of 250G!

Also keep in mind, the endpoint over-flooding. So more clients that it can handle, so the endpoint can choose for ‘throttling’ connections.

Hi, all 

Appreciate the input, yes ONLINE gaming to question 1 above. Directly connected on the 10Gbps port with a cat 7 shielded cable to my desktop PC with a 10Gbps network card installed, all drivers up to date. Issue only started after the upgrade to Odido. 

The gaming servers are not located in JAPAN :D and I'm fully aware how online gaming connections work. I had a flawless connection on all gaming platforms I use via KPN, I upgrade to Odido purely for the line speed of 8Gbps and then only did this start. 

I will run a continuous ping shortly and lets see if I can capture the event for you. 

Kind regards

David

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@BoetaF 

Maybe Odido uses a different route?

Here you can see the jumps and timeouts as soon as you play anything online, they match up with the lag spikes in the games where server connection is lost. Ping is running to Google. 

Hello @BoetaF 

Do you encounter this issue especially with gaming and do you mean online gaming by that?

When you are not gaming online, do you also have rhe issue with lag spikes?

Is your gaming console directly connected to the router with a cable or do you also use a switch? Of yes than maybe you can test without a switch.

And is the speed good when you perform a speedtest using the Ookla speedtest app?

Speed test is good, its just unstable as soon as you start using it as shown by the ping.

Reageer