Beantwoord

Is it possible to increase the internet speed?

• 25 June 2021
  • 9 reacties
  • 145 Bekeken

Hi all,

I just moved to new place and I select t-mobile as my internet provider.
Setup and connection was super smooth so kudos for that! 

I have 100 Mbit/s down 30 Mbit/s up Internet Fast package. T-mobile warned me that expected speeds are around %80 of what is being offered. I should be getting somewhere around 80 Mbit/s down 20 Mbit/s up. I don’t care much about up speed and I am getting 20 Mbit/s at the moment which is perfectly enough. 

However, I am only getting 35 Mbit/s download which I would say a bit slow in the middle of Rotterdam (next to Central station). I did my tests with multiple speed test website, torrent and FTP file downloading. I also tried different connection types like 5GHZ Wifi and LAN Cable. Results are identical.

I have Zyxel modem and here is the setup I have if you would like to know and I can share mode details like address in more private medium if it’s needed:

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Ender

icon

Beste antwoord door Waqqas 25 June 2021, 14:43

Bekijk origineel

9 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @endertunc 

You have a bridge tap in your house installation which may be causing the lower speeds.

An ideal solution would be to remove both round boxes and connect the cable from the ISRA (right on the picture) which is now going to the upper round box, to the white connection box in the installation package.

You have got 2 white boxes, use the one with only red and blue in it. It's just disconnecting the cable from the upper round box and connect the wires in the connection box from T-Mobile.

Hi @Waqqas,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply!

I am not sure if I am following you. Do you mean something like this? (I took the screenshot from t-mobile modem setup instructions)

I am not really willing to to do this since I am just renting the place and I don’t want to make any permanent changes.

I have direct phone cable that comes from a mysteries place like this.

I think I tried use this one directly but I think speed was the same. Do you think I should be using the direct cable?

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@endertunc

Not the connection box which is on photo 1 but you have also one with only red and blue in it. Connect the cable from the ISRA in your fusebox in it and then you can simply plug the DSL cable from your modem in that box.

btw you are not damaging anything, just disconnect a cable from the box and install it in the one you received from T-Mobile and the ISRA in your fusebox is the main point from where you'll get internet.

Hi @Waqqas ,

Thanks for your reply again.

Yes, I have connection box you shared above. I managed to open it as well and it looks like the one you shared.

At this point, I need to cut the cable I shared above (https://uploads-eu-west-1.insided.com/tmobile-nl/attachment/5d687068-aef2-4c70-a35e-f61c0d5564dc.jpg) and then connect the blue and red cables inside it. Is my understanding correct? 

Best regards.

To be clear, I still don’t understand where the cable (the coming from top) in this picture comes from:
https://uploads-eu-west-1.insided.com/tmobile-nl/attachment/199e253a-f15d-453c-bbeb-55276df19327.jpg

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@endertunc

You can unscrew that round box, remove the wires from that cable and connect them in the one from T-Mobile.

If the speed is okay then, then you can remove the round box and attach the one from T-Mobile to the wall.

In my earlier post just took a picture from Google.

Hi @Waqqas,

It’s a lot more clear now! 

I think that’s the way it’s done in my previous place. I have to talk with my landlord before doing such a thing I assume. I will have to check with landlord first.

By any chance, is T-mobile helps with such tasks? I am really bad at it and it would be easier to convince landlord if it’s carried out by someone from T-mobile.

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

@endertunc

T-Mobile can send a mechanic to do it but then you'll have to wait for a reply from a moderator.

Btw I think that the landlord has no problem with this, it only makes the house installation better 😉

Reputatie 7

Hi @endertunc ,

Thanks for your messages to our Community! We’re here to help you out. I understand that you’re not receiving the initial download speed promised by us, which is around 55 Mbit/s. After checking your connection, we can see a slight ‘noise’ on your connection, but no bridge tap. This ‘noise’ can cause the lower download speed.

In order to give a proper estimation of your speed, I’d like to receive a couple of screenshots of speed tests. Please take a close look at the following steps! If the tests don’t meet the necessary criteria, we can’t start an investigation.

-Go to www.speedtest.net/apps in your browser and download the app for the device on which you want to perform the speed test
-The computer or laptop has to be connected via an ethernet cable, a speed test of  a TV or gaming computer can’t be used
-Run the speed test. For the best results it’s best to test on several target servers. When you press the big GA-button, you can choose a server. Is the speed below the attainable average? Repeat the test on the same device but with a five minute intermission between the tests
-Take at least two screenshots of speed tests on different target servers
-Take a screenshot of the taakbeheer (Task Manager, on Windows) or the activiteitenmonitor (Activity Monitor on iOS):
In Windows you’ll find this by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL; choose more details if they’re not directly visible
In Apple MacOS you can search for "Activity Monitor" from the Spotlight search box 
-Take a screenshot of the IP configuration:
Windows: via the search function under shortcut “Windows + R”, type in: “cmd” and press Enter (or search for Opdrachtprompt/Command Prompt in the starting menu). After opening, type in: ipconfig / all and press Enter
Apple MacOS: via the Finder or the Spotlight search window you can open the Terminal app. Type in: /sbin /ifconfig and press Enter. This will display all connections the device has at that specific moment. 

Please send me the screenshots in one message and make sure that the mentioned steps are followed precisely. Thank you for your input!

Reageer