1390 min called on a 120 min contract

• 24 August 2023
  • 17 reacties
  • 292 Bekeken

Hi @T-Mobile,

my daughter figured out that even with her phone closed (with Family link) she was able to use her phone to call friends in NL and abroad. She normally has a small contract and small monthly costs (13 to 15 eur).

In August, she called for 1390 min and we received an invoice of 404 EUR. This is almost our entire mobile phone budget (for 3 people) in a month. 

@T-Mobile I need your help here. I know the contract sets the rules but I cannot accept to pay 404 EUR when onbeperkt calling cost literally nothing. We’re getting penalized for wanting to keep our costs low by choosing 120 min contracts and sheer cluelessness on my daughter’s part.

We’ve been loyal customers for years, can you please do the right thing?

Thank you

Bertrand

Hajar van Odido 8 maanden geleden

Hi @bertrandcapard 

I am sorry to inform that all the information given above by our Superusers is correct. You can check the remaining minutes and costs at any moment on My T-Mobile so the information was already available. I know it’s unfortunate but we can’t reduced the amount of the invoice because it’s also the customers responsibility to check My T-Mobile for all information regarding their subscription usage. You can ask for a payment arrangement for the invoice on this page you can find the information on payment arrangements. 

In the future please check My T-Mobile frequently especially when you are abroad in order to prevent higher costs. 

Bekijk origineel

17 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @bertrandcapard 

The contract holder should be aware of the fact that there are only 120 minutes for calling in the bundle and in case you are calling more than 120 minutes per moth it is better to upgrade to unlimited calling.

The extra costs will have to be paid...

Reputatie 7
Badge +14

Your daughter is clueless? But she called many hours to Dutch and abroad nummers. I do not know how old she is, but is you have a subscription on your name and you allowed your children to use it, you should make good aggrements and explain the ins and outs of such subscription.  Specially if you only have a small voice bundle. You could use the t-mobile app or my-tmobile to keep track as a parent. Unfortunatly  she made a fault or found a gap in your rules and you didn't notice.  Unlimited calling does not bear the costs for all these hours of voice in and out the country. It is a kind of insurance, a lot of customers paying the amount will make a pot so high users and low users are combined on a business case.

You can not close a " fire insurance (unlimited calling) when the house is already burned down." 

If you can not pay the invoice at once, you could apply for a ' betalingsregeling' in my-tmobile.  Than you pay the total invoice in monthly parts.

Hi both,

I am fully aware of the above, I’m still looking for a commercial gesture from T-mobile on this one incident. I’d argue that if the fire department knew your house was smoking, they’d warn you before it was fully leveled, unless of course they’d get paid more by watching it burn.

My loyalty to T-Mobile is hopefully worth more than 400 euros.

Thank you

Hi @T-Mobile, could you please let me know what is possible for my case? Thank you. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi @bertrandcapard 

I am sorry to inform that all the information given above by our Superusers is correct. You can check the remaining minutes and costs at any moment on My T-Mobile so the information was already available. I know it’s unfortunate but we can’t reduced the amount of the invoice because it’s also the customers responsibility to check My T-Mobile for all information regarding their subscription usage. You can ask for a payment arrangement for the invoice on this page you can find the information on payment arrangements. 

In the future please check My T-Mobile frequently especially when you are abroad in order to prevent higher costs. 

Hey Hajar,

Please read my message carefully. I did read the above responses and yours. I would like you to do the same.

I prefer paying low invoices each month, I therefore choose 120 min for a reason. I also expect everyone using these accounts to respect more or less the limit. I would not complain for a little bit extra every now and then.

I just cannot ACCEPT that you would allow this type of overspend on a series of invoices that hardly ever exceeded 40 eur for the past 10 or so years.

So let me again ask, would T-Mobile allow for this incident to be partially written off?

Again, I am more than happy to extend to unlimited minutes on all 3 accounts for this to never happen again. But I cannot let this happen this time either by principle. 

This is really what I am asking, nothing else.

Thank you

Hi @Hajar,

Just replied to your post.

Thx

Your question is absolutely ridiculous and I am stunned that you’re asking your phone provider to pay for your parenting mistake.

Sorry to be so harsh but I am beyond surprised.

Thx @Mella88 for your pov.

What's ridiculous is a system that let's 1390 min happen on 120 min contract without notifying the customer, a provider that charges the customer 400 euros for it without questioning the abnormal consumption, while at the same time offering unlimited calling for 1 eur per month. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +14

It is your own choice to go for the cheaper subscription, your own words.  So the consequences are part of your own choice. None of the large providers got warnings on postpaid subscriptions.  Next to upgrading to unlimited,  you could also give children a prepaid subscription to teach them using this kind of communication equipement. 

Bottom line, it is a real pitty and sad for the child who feels this as well I think. The payment schedule which the moderator offers might help you out.

To be fair it's the same everywhere. Even special contracts to be used for kids specifically only have a limit on data but not on minutes called. There are some providers that will send you a text message when 80% of the minutes have been used up but of course if your daughter doesn't mention receiving it it still would not have helped you.

I also noted the same potential issue when looking for a simcard for my kid. I used the only option left that actually allows full control over the minutes my kid can call; buying him a prepaid card. Then there is no way he can call for more then he has money for. And it worked; we never even had to put extra money on his card. Even after years he still has 8 euro of the original 10 euro left, and he has by now become an expert in using data over free wifi, and using whatsapp calling while using that instead of paid phone minutes. The only thing he spends money on is the obligatory once every 6 month paid action to keep the simcard active.

You gave it a good try here, but it looks like it's not going to happen. Let's hope especially your daughter learned from it! 

Reputatie 4
Badge +1

You cant ask a company to pay for your own mistakes. You or your daughter called with some friends and they need to pay for it. You also can't ask in a store to refund a product you already consumed. Its the same thing. You have to pay for things you use. Its your  responsibility to check your daughters calling behavior, not Odido. 

You cant ask a company to pay for your own mistakes. You or your daughter called with some friends and they need to pay for it. You also can't ask in a store to refund a product you dont even own anymore. Its the same thing. You have to pay for things you use. Its your  responsibility to check your daughters calling behavior, not Odido. 

Not entirely true in all cases though. Some laws don't allow for minors to do certain purchases, so in those cases it's possible to get money back. (some purchases require ‘beslissingsbevoegdheid’ that a child does not has)  For example play store/ apple store have certain arrangements/ reimbursements that are possible when a child has gone rampant with for example in app  purchases or when for example the child that made the purchase does not meet the minimum age required for doing those purchases. 

Of course you're right in this case, as I assume the contract was signed by the parent and is therefor the responsible party. I still understand trying to ask for leniency, as ‘nee heb je, ja kun je krijgen’, but that didn't work out in this case.

Reputatie 4
Badge +1

You cant ask a company to pay for your own mistakes. You or your daughter called with some friends and they need to pay for it. You also can't ask in a store to refund a product you dont even own anymore. Its the same thing. You have to pay for things you use. Its your  responsibility to check your daughters calling behavior, not Odido. 

Not entirely true in all cases though. Some laws don't allow for minors to do certain purchases, so in those cases it's possible to get money back. (some purchases require ‘beslissingsbevoegdheid’ that a child does not has)  For example play store/ apple store have certain arrangements/ reimbursements that are possible when a child has gone rampant with for example in app  purchases or when for example the child that made the purchase does not meet the minimum age required for doing those purchases. 

Of course you're right in this case, as I assume the contract was signed by the parent and is therefor the responsible party. I still understand trying to ask for leniency, as ‘nee heb je, ja kun je krijgen’, but that didn't work out in this case.

Yes I know. But after those refunds those apps they bought got deleted from there accounts after the refund got approved. Because you ask to refund an app. With mobile data there is not return policy. Parents have their own responsibilities. Like the topic starter said she got her "own" subscription on his name. 

Hey @T- Mobile, I will switch provider the second I can. There I'll take unlimited calling. Thank you. 

Reputatie 4
Badge +1

Hey @T- Mobile, I will switch provider the second I can. There I'll take unlimited calling. Thank you. 

Every provider has the same policy for this. Maybe you should gotten Unlimited directly and not complaining about a thing your daughter did afterwards, and "threaten" to go away. Sorry but they don't gonna refund you in any way. Its nice you want to keep the cost low to choose for a cheaper subscription. But these are the risks if you give a child a phone.

Hey @T- Mobile, I will switch provider the second I can. There I'll take unlimited calling. Thank you. 

Alternative: Simpel, a subsidiary of Odido, allows you to configure a spending limit, for just €0,50/month.

Reageer