Beantwoord

Data not working abroad (Belgium)

• 23 February 2024
  • 3 reacties
  • 236 Bekeken

• heeft eerste post geplaatst
  • 1 reactie

Hi,

I’m in Belgium, with roaming and mobile data enabled. My phone connects to a partner network (Orange, PROXIMUS, BASE), but data is not working. Sometimes my phone switches between 5G and 4G every 5 seconds or so, but no internet connection.

If I restart my phone, the connection works for a fraction of a second, and then dies again.

The Odido app says I’m in Belgium and that my bundle is valid.

Could it be a network barring? How can I get it fixed?

Thanks!

icon

Beste antwoord door Waqqas 24 February 2024, 10:33

Bekijk origineel

3 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +15

Hello @rpimpao 

Do you jave this issue only on 1 location or also elsewhere in Belgium?

It doesn't look like a barring otherwise it shouldn't be working at all.

Try your simcard in another phone to see if it's an issue with the phone or simcard.

Hi @Waqqas 

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve had this problem since I crossed the border. I’m in Antwerp for the weekend. There’s no data anywhere I go.

I thought it was a network issue because I was able to use data while roaming in other EU countries, with this same simcard and phone. Unfortunately, I don’t have another phone to try the simcard on.

Update: (I still dont have data when roaming)

After doing some research, I realized that I didn’t get the usual SMS we get when in another country. What would be the reason for that? Maybe my new phone is not properly registered?

Second, I noticed my APN is still using T-mobile settings (smartsites.t-mobile).

So, maybe a “new phone reconfiguration” could update my settings, network-wise? Alternatively, would it be possible to register for an eSIM while travelling?

Another detail: I’m having a hard time remembering if I was ever able to use data when roaming with my new phone + old simcard. I’ve been to other EU countries with this setup for sure, but I also carried my old phone with another carrier simcard, and since that was my main phone at the time, I think I would’ve been using that one instead.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi Rpimpao, welcome to our Community! I hope you're having a good time in Belgium. I've looked into your account and I don't see any barrings for international roaming, so it should be working. APN settings are indeed smartsites.t-mobile, so that is correct. 

I've logged into your Mijn Odido account and I see that you're back in the Netherlands, is that correct? For next time there are a few things you could check to get it to work:

• Data Roaming should be ON
  • APN settings = smartsites.t-mobile (no typos, otherwise it won't work)
  • Turn automatic network selection OFF, and manually connect to one of the available networks
  • You can always check the network frequency. If you have 5G selected, or you have an older phone; then it could be possible that the phone is not correct for the provider's network frequency. On this page, odido.nl/mobiel-abonnement/buitenland/dekking-buitenland, you can see all providers and their network frequencies. To see if your phone is compatible for that network, you can check this page: odido.nl/telefoonhulp

I hope this will help next time you're abroad. If it doesn't work, please let me know. There are more steps for me to follow to find the issue! 😄

Reageer